An Idea....Google Workspace for Non Profits for Ward Leadership

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
BrianEdwards

Re: An Idea....Google Workspace for Non Profits for Ward Leadership

Post by BrianEdwards »

That's really great. I know I've asked questions a few times on the Forum, figured something out, and then never circled back to close the loop with what I found (oops). So if you can share your experience with Privacy, I think that will help us all (now and anyone finding this later on), to know how much space we have to try out something like this, and what to consider. It's likely country-dependent (and perhaps even locally), but whatever you find out will be a good reference point.
omegalds

Post by omegalds »

Great points, a lot of it will be teaching the auxiliaries what can and cannot be done with it. However most of the use for us would be the consolidation of info that needs to be past between auxiliaries and coordinating events. I have a meeting with my bishop and stake pres. today to contact the church. So we will see how that goes and I will bring up the questions in the thread. @bradhokanson I tried to reply to your pm but it looks like I don't have permission to use that feature yet....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

omegalds wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:21 am @bradhokanson I tried to reply to your pm but it looks like I don't have permission to use that feature yet....
You should have that now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bryce2787

Post by Bryce2787 »

The fact is that the majority of people serving in church leadership are storing some type of confidential church information on (technically) unauthorized cloud servers. As a church leader who is constantly swamped in admin, this route looks mighty appealing. More will continue to trod this path and, unfortunately, it is solely down to a failing of the church in not providing sufficient tools and platforms to fulfil our duties. Things are certainly improving, and no doubt will continue to, but the pace is dreadfully slow. There are huge holes right now in areas such as unit communication, scheduling and data storage. Modern tools help us to be more efficient with our time and to focus on what matters most. Realistically, where else are leaders supposed to turn to?
omegalds

Post by omegalds »

@russellhtln thank you for the heads up on the pms.

@Bryce2787 I totally agree as far as a lack of resources to utilize the many technology advancements their are. I do see where it is not as high of a priority for the church when a large number of our members in the church struggle with just using a cell phone. It will be nice to see the church create something though. Since my ward is all single adults (ages 31-45) the technology usage is a lot easier to teach if needed. I hope the google workspace works out how we are hoping in my ward. My Bishopric and Ward Clerks are very excited at the possibilities this will give us.

I asked my Bishop about the concerns of GHB 33.9.1.3. He immediately pulled it out to read it and said it was a very cut dry policy that he saw no issues with but has instructed me to put together a training for all those to take before they are given access to it.

We also inquired our Area President ( I think that is his title) about using google workspace for non-profit and this was his response if others are interested:

["In reading through this I believe your first question is answered in that this option could be pursued. It is a reputable source and we would assume that great care would be taken not to share confidential information.
Here is the quote from the website that gives a basis for this response.
“ There are many internet cloud file–sharing services that allow organizations to share documents and collaborate through discussions. Only use reputable solutions that provide controls to limit who can access documents. Be careful not to share documents in these systems that contain confidential or sensitive matters. Document access should not be public. Sharing must be configured to use private access controls, sharing only with users in the group or specific individuals. Ward and stake leaders should counsel with their leaders to determine the proper use of document sharing.”
Here are some additional guidelines from the website:
“More than one administrator should be assigned to be responsible for the online resource. This can provide continuity when a person’s calling or assignment changes. It also keeps one person from being burdened with updating and monitoring the resource.”
“Online resources should not duplicate tools and features that are already on ChurchofJesusChrist.org, Member Tools, or other Church resources.” ]
michael.dipaolo

Post by michael.dipaolo »

bradhokanson wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:24 pm These are all great questions and concerns and although I can go into more detail about how I am using Google Workspace for Non Profits and the security controls and processes I use, I think BrianEdwards asked the right question of has anyone really asked Privacy about this type of setup. I am not aware of anyone in the Forums who has done so but I certainly don't mind asking. I will ask, find out what I can and post what is appropriate here when I get more info.
Any response from Privacy about this? I'd like to set up a workspace for my ward/stake as well.
paule

Post by paule »

I'm curious to know where this all stands now, as well. My current ward and other units I've worked with in the past have commonly used personal Google Gmail / Drive accounts along with solutions from other vendors for shared document storage, etc. Issues usually arise with the transfer of ownership when callings change. I've thought about Google Workspace for nonprofits as a possible solution, but have most of the concerns mentioned in this stream. Handing the new person a thumb drive with everything on it isn't very elegant (or all that secure), but relieves us of the need to essentially create an IT department for the ward. Sorry, I guess there isn't much of a question there. Just mulling it over....
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

** Update**
I have had several meetings with different people in Data Privacy about using Google for Non Profits to support the Ward and Stake efforts to manage administrative tasks. (email, document management, schedule for appointments with forms (not for building reservation), etc) and those meetings have been positive and informative. Basically the council and direction that I was provided was what we have discussed here and what has been previously published in the General Handbook section 33 Records and Reports. Of course there was council about not storing confidential membership information in cloud-based services and whatever information that is stored should be protected from unauthorized access or disclosure.

That being said and after having several other professional colleagues who also work in Information Security give me a sanity check, I am moving forward in using this for our Ward and Stake. Another colleague has already purchased a domain for his Ward and Stake, has received the necessary paperwork from Church Finance, submitted the information to Google and is waiting for verification and the login email to start using it.

A previous member of our High Council was called to a Bishopric position in an Orem YSA Ward and has also asked to start using this in his Ward. He has mentioned it to his Stake President with a positive response. So I imagine a 2nd Stake is in the near future.

I am taking a strict approach on security in this environment; there is no access without 2 factor and currently no document sharing to any email domain outside the ones I have registered in my Workspace instance. For the moment, this is working great.

Brad
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

A work colleague mentioned to me that Microsoft also offers their Office365 Suite to Non Profits as well. So I have successfully gone through the validation process of setting up an non profit instance on their framework. My thought is to look at the service offerings of both platforms and see which one meets the need of Ecclesiastical leadership best.

Brad
paule

Post by paule »

I'm curious to know how others have passed the "Google for Non Profits" application process for a ward. I've been rejected a couple of times. Although they gave little feedback, I did find this in the eligibility documentation when I searched on the rejection text: "The organization must be a separate branch covered through group exemption. Fiscally sponsored organizations and separate departments within the same organization are not eligible." I'm guessing a ward or branch could rightly be described as being a "fiscally sponsored organization" within the larger Church organization (if that means what I think it means). Any thoughts?

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”