sacrament to the shutins

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jtjacks

Re: sacrament to the shutins

Post by jtjacks »

Please read my post above in this thread.

In Hong Kong, the international district has well over a thousand domestic workers who are members, (at least there were that many before the pandemic) mostly from the Philippines, essentially all sisters, who only get one day off a week, but it may not be Sunday.

So, there is a branch that meets every day to accommodate them so each member can attend on their day off (which is their sabbath). The branch has a full schedule of meetings every day and the sacrament is administered every day so all members can participate. Kind of interesting - there is a RS presidency for each day, and the sisters who attend on Monday never meet the sisters who attend on Tuesday, etc.

I am sure it took approval from at least the area president, but it has been operating for many years.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: sacrament to the shutins

Post by sbradshaw »

tgmeyer wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:13 pm I am a senior missionary in the Philippines and we have low activity ratios. Many cannot attend on Sunday as they work 7 days a week. Many have an evening or morning available. I know there is indication of the sacrament being given on days other than Sundays, but are sacrament meetings held in any country on multiple days other than the designated Sabbath. Sunday is Sabbath here, but most cannot attend due to work schedules.
Yes. In Israel, sacrament meetings are held on Saturday. In many predominantly Muslim countries like Egypt and Jordan, sacrament meetings are held on Friday. In parts of Hong Kong, there are sacrament meetings every day of the week, and the Hong Kong temple is occasionally open on Sundays, to accommodate a large population with difficult work schedules. I believe these exceptions would have needed approval either at the area level or the general level (not the ward or stake level).

(For completeness, Sunday being the preferred day of worship for Latter-day Saints follows mainstream Christian tradition, but is affirmed as acceptable to the Lord in Doctrine and Covenants 59 – on "this, the Lord’s day" – the revelation was given on a Sunday. So Sunday is the general rule, but other days can be approved by authorized leaders as exceptions. This is helpful when explaining our Sunday worship to Christian friends who believe in keeping a seventh-day Sabbath.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”