Request for LDS scripture URL option for chapter and verse(s)

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
chiefmtn

Request for LDS scripture URL option for chapter and verse(s)

Post by chiefmtn »

As more and more missionary work and gospel sharing is done on Facebook and other social media platforms there is a growing need for a way to link directly to, and only to, the desired scripture's chapter and verse(s).

Here are a couple of examples offered on-line to find and reference a Bible scripture by chapter and verse(s).

<< https://biblehub.com/kjv/john/3-5.htm >> biblehub is excellent for 1 verse use.

and << https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV >> biblegateway is my preferred service for referring to 2 or more verses.

Check the attached images to see the results. It would be a great feature if there was a similar feature available for all the LDS scriptures including the Bible.

Currently, unless I am missing something, any LDS scripture link currently used brings up the entire chapter with the desired verse highlighted by a blue bar to the left of the scripture.

Thank you.
Attachments
john 3 5.jpg
biblehub view of John 3:5
(58.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Peter.jpg
biblegateway view of 1 Peter 3:19-20
(131 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mevans

Re: Request for LDS scripture URL option for chapter and verse(s)

Post by mevans »

I believe your observations are correct about how the church's website works. It seems there must be a way to do this because of the way footnotes work: the sidebar on the right is able to show just the text of selected verses; however, I don't how it works and even if you figure it out, they may change the implementation.

Here are some suggestions:
  • Submit Feedback requesting this feature. That's the main way to make sure your idea gets heard (this is a peer-to-peer forum and sometimes church employees participate). On the left panel of the online scriptures (the index), scroll to the bottom and click on the Feedback link.
  • Try highlighting the desired verses. A menu pops up. One of the options is Share. There are options for sharing via Facebook, Twitter, and Email. I haven't tried the Twitter or Facebook options, but if your destination is one of those services, maybe it's worth a try to see if it works as you would like. If nothing else, you can try the Email option. It puts the text in an email and you can copy it from there.
As an aside, I'm glad I tried out the Email option. That might be a better way for me to do copy/paste when I need to get unformatted text. There are a few ways to do that, but I've sometimes found that unformatted text contains non-breaking spaces. I wonder if the email option will work better for me.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In addition to drawing a bar to the left of the relevant verse(s) or paragraph(s), the Church website also supports jumping down the page to a specific verse.

For example:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 3?id=p7#p7
(the "id" parameter tells it which verses to call out, and the "#" tells it where to scroll)

What are the use cases for sharing a specific verse, vs. sharing a chapter with the relevant verses called out? I can see how someone might prefer seeing one or the other, but I can't really think of a use case that's not being met.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
italyrm

Post by italyrm »

Honestly - I can't think of the reason TO show the whole chapter with a certain verse 'called out' or highlighted versus returning only a single, or set of, verse(s) that one actually would like to see.

As only a few examples:

- sharing thoughts and feelings online
- doing natural language processing on not an entire chapter of the text
- printing the scriptures off so you can share in class
- making a longer chaptermore easily digestible for youth in primary
- allowing members to more easily set up study plans

among dozens of other use cases
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

italyrm wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:41 am Honestly - I can't think of the reason TO show the whole chapter with a certain verse 'called out' or highlighted ...
One reason is to allow you to see the context of the highlighted section. Sometimes the highlighted part is more meaningful with what comes before and/or after it.
italyrm

Post by italyrm »

jonesrk wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:39 pm
italyrm wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:41 am Honestly - I can't think of the reason TO show the whole chapter with a certain verse 'called out' or highlighted ...
One reason is to allow you to see the context of the highlighted section. Sometimes the highlighted part is more meaningful with what comes before and/or after it.
I respectfully disagree as the person who is building the app. That's a nice enough reason to say that I suppose......

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”