only a single projector choice?

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
russ2p

only a single projector choice?

Post by russ2p »

So our stake order 2 new projectors.

My understanding is that they went through the Facility Management group. The stake previously had 3 projectors a new stake was created and 2 of the projectors went with the other stake.

Our stake is the new stake. The remaining projector is not kept in the library for general use by units that meet in the stake center but more securly in the stake clerk's office.

We receive two projectors of same model

Sony VPL-CWZ10 Projector

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/laser-p ... /vpl-cwz10

This model did not have the features/functions we desired. We told our Facility high council rep why this did not meet our needs and a more details description of what we were looking for and a make/model that provided that.

I learned yesterday from the high council rep that the Sony model above is the one an only model that FM group can offer to buildings.

Is this accurate?

I hope not. As these are bulky and intended for ceiling mount. To use them as intended would require a more expensive installation in our cultural hall to the projections screens in the cultural hall, run of wires and wall plate installation. Is this happening in other buildings that others know of? Are there protective cages being installed around them to protect them from athletic activities in the gym? are any buildings ceiling mounting projectors in chapels these days. Is that even allowed in the chapel?

I just seems odd for us to use the projector upside down on a table in a portable fashion and feels to big to use on the side of the chapel podium. We also turned on one and did not see any options to adjust vertical or horizontal keystone and did not see any auto input/source detection. All features the previous projectors had. perhaps the keystone-ing is all automatic but it did not appear to be so when we tested on the side of the pulpit to the projector screen on the wall at the back of the rostrum.

Other solution or ideas appreciated. From a monetary perspective I realize the stake could probably use it's budget to buy whatever projectors it wants but I don't understand if there is some other budget these are coming from since we are a new created stake but to have these covered by the FM groups this is the only model we can choose from.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: only a single projector choice?

Post by russellhltn »

Looks like a nice unit. From the photos, I can see feet that suggests it can be used like a portable. Are you sure there isn't a menu option to flip the image so it doesn't have to be upside down?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know much about projector models, but a couple of thoughts:

1) It's possible that FM groups in different areas have different standard equipment, so what your FM group has standardized on may or may not be Church-wide.

2) I'm always a little nervous when I see a projector balanced on the platform next to the podium – often propped up by a hymnbook or two. If you (or the presenter) aren't careful, it's easy to accidentally pull a cord or bump the projector and have it fall off. The presenter also has to be careful to stand to the side to not block the projector. And, it's tricky to find a place for both the projector and a laptop/tablet that's being presented from. All of that said, you might consider strapping the projector in a semi-permanent way to a rolling cart that will 1) be more stable than the side of the podium or a stack of hymnbooks, 2) be easier to plug-and-play anywhere in the building, and 3) be harder to go missing if it's kept in the resource center.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russ2p

Post by russ2p »

russellhltn wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm Looks like a nice unit. From the photos, I can see feet that suggests it can be used like a portable. Are you sure there isn't a menu option to flip the image so it doesn't have to be upside down?
Yeah there are feet but not as with much adjustment as our other ones. Which have a drop down leg with quite a bit of tilt which is what we need from our podium to are screen in the chapel, but I guess hymn books can solve that.

I also think it will have a image flip option but may will have to check if that setting can be saved with the power off, which I'm doubting at this point. but I guess hymn books can solve that.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russ2p wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am I hope not. As these are bulky and intended for ceiling mount.
These are designed for dual purpose roles, ceiling or desk mount. If it doesn't auto-detect its own orientation, then the menu setting to flip the display would probably be persistent.
russ2p wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am We also turned on one and did not see any options to adjust vertical or horizontal keystone...
It's there in the menu system. With an Epson, I found the easiest way to adjust H/V keystone (or most other menu items) was via the remote. You might give that a try.

BTW, I found the manual was not as informative as their web-based Help Guide. It may answer additional questions you might have.
russ2p wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am Other solution or ideas appreciated.
I have a possible solution, drop me a PM and I'll trade you straight across for 2 of our our Epson projectors! With no projection bulb, 20K hour laser life, 5000 lm, 3LCD display system, very short time from power up to projecting a fully bright image, I'm a bit envious.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

Press the Menu key.

Select Installation, then Image Flip. Easy and it will save the desired setting so you won't have to do it every time you power cycle.

There is a Keystone button on the remote, or you can also correct it from the installation menu as well if navigating from the projector controls itself.

These are really great projectors.

I'm interested in what you had previously for comparison as these aren't big or bulky by any standards and certainly one of the very smallest laser projectors with a useful number of lumens!

I'd like to carefully suggest that it is just user error and there is a need to familiarise yourself with the product.
russ2p

Post by russ2p »

I want to start by thanking you and others on the replies of this thread. You'll have been kind and very helpful.
Mikerowaved wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:34 am
russ2p wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am I hope not. As these are bulky and intended for ceiling mount.
These are designed for dual purpose roles, ceiling or desk mount. If it doesn't auto-detect its own orientation, then the menu setting to flip the display would probably be persistent.
I'm glad to hear the image flip setting should be persistent if it does not autodetect its orientation. We'll give that a try. Though designed for dual purposes, including desk, we are used to our smaller footprint brother projector for desk mount.
russ2p wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am We also turned on one and did not see any options to adjust vertical or horizontal keystone...
It's there in the menu system. With an Epson, I found the easiest way to adjust H/V keystone (or most other menu items) was via the remote. You might give that a try.

BTW, I found the manual was not as informative as their web-based Help Guide. It may answer additional questions you might have.
I did find in the web-based user guide as well, thanks for sharing the link, and that keystone adjustment is invoked by the remote. I'm not a fan of remote only functionality and it appears this how this is accessed. We did not see how to access this with just the physical buttons on the projector navigating the menu systems, but perhaps we were two fast and hasty upon first inspection.
russ2p wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am Other solution or ideas appreciated.
I have a possible solution, drop me a PM and I'll trade you straight across for 2 of our our Epson projectors! With no projection bulb, 20K hour laser life, 5000 lm, 3LCD display system, very short time from power up to projecting a fully bright image, I'm a bit envious.
Okay you are doing a good job of selling me on the pros of these projectors ;)
We just want it in a smaller package/footprint, with VGA and or HDMI monitor output, quick access to physical buttons on the outside of the projector for H + V Keystone. We'd like the best of both projectors ;) We were really looking for another projector similar to the Epson but the increase in lumens will be appreciated by all.
We are likely suffering from not wanting to change our known methods, looking at the gaps we perceive between the two projectors make/models and things we like about our current Epson projector that we'll be giving up.

Thanks again Mike.

A model response with quoted segments. I love it. :-D :-D
Last edited by russ2p on Mon May 08, 2023 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
russ2p

Post by russ2p »

Wattsuk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:34 am Press the Menu key.

Select Installation, then Image Flip. Easy and it will save the desired setting so you won't have to do it every time you power cycle.

There is a Keystone button on the remote, or you can also correct it from the installation menu as well if navigating from the projector controls itself.
Thanks for the specifics on how this is done and good to know it can be done from the projector controls/buttons itself. I got the understanding from our first attempt and web-based users guide that is was remote only adjustment.
Wattsuk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:34 am These are really great projectors.

I'm interested in what you had previously for comparison as these aren't big or bulky by any standards and certainly one of the very smallest laser projectors with a useful number of lumens!
We have the Epson PowerLite 955WH
https://epson.com/Support/Projectors/Po ... 20#manuals
Wattsuk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:34 am I'd like to carefully suggest that it is just user error and there is a need to familiarise yourself with the product.
I appreciate your remark here and being courteous at the same time. I think there is truth in your suggestion. We could have been more thorough in our initial review of the projector and looking more in depth.

Thanks for your reply Watt. :)

For those curious on size weight comparison, which feels quite larger on the side of the podium but perhaps we'll transition to a cart on the side of the podium when used in the chapel with this newer Sony projector.
The new Sony projector
Dimensions (W x H x D) (without protrusions) (14 19/32 x 3 15/16 x 12 9/16 inches)
13 lbs
183.33 sq" footprint (approx 123% of the older current Epson )
Light Output -5,000 lm*2 / 5,200 lm (Center)*3

The older Epson projector is 3.50" x 11.60" x 10.60" (HxWxD)
6.4 lbs
122.96 sq" footprint (approx 67% of the footprint space of the newer Sony)
Brightness - 3,200 Lumens (but likely lower as bulb has been in use for some time now

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”