Assistant Clerk - Finance

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dctanner1

Assistant Clerk - Finance

Post by dctanner1 »

Does anyone know if a ward is permitted to have more than one Finance Clerk? (Our Stake Clerk told us that only one is permitted.???) I know that, in the past, we had two. If you have knowledge on this, please share. Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Assistant Clerk - Finance

Post by russellhltn »

Some wards abused the number of clerks allowed to grant members access to sensitive information. As a result, the system only allows one person for each of the clerk callings.

I think you'll find lcr won't allow a second finance clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

You can have 3 assistant clerks (at least you could the last time I was a clerk):
- Assistant clerk: access to both membership and finance
- Assistant clerk-finance: access to finance only
- Assistant clerk-membership: access to membership only

It's been several years since I served as clerk so the above list might have changed.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

The Access Table in LCR shows that the following clerks all have Finance access. As stated, you may only have one of each. Many/most units have found with online donations, the potential need for an additional finance clerk is much diminished compared to a few years ago, although perhaps your ward is an outlier and having the second finance clerk would have been beneficial.

Ward Clerk
Ward Assistant Clerk
Ward Assistant Clerk - Finance
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I served for many years as a clerk under several bishops (some of that time was before LCR: MLS over dial-up in those days). Even before online donations, I never felt the need for more than 2 clerks in our average sized ward. I always recommended to the bishop that he call one clerk and one assistant clerk and we could then back each other up for illnesses, vacations, etc. I can imagine scenarios where more than two would be useful (wards with lots of transition, wards without access to online donations or many members who don't use online donations, health issues with a serving clerk or assistant clerk, etc).

However I think the worst thing a bishop can do in this regard is call an assistant clerk and not give him anything to do (like another ward did with my son-in-law). Every ward is different and the number of assistant clerks should be considered under inspiration and in full awareness of the actual workload so they feel useful.

But, this is all my personal opinion based on my experience and personality (one of my bishops used to call me "Radar" because I always tried to anticipate what reports he would want and what questions he might ask in meetings so I was prepared to help in the discussions). I provide it just as another point to ponder.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”