LCR says baby exists, but doesn't

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davea0511

LCR says baby exists, but doesn't

Post by davea0511 »

I'm reaching out here because I called the hotline and someone at church headquarters a week ago said they would fix it but they didn't...

10 months ago (note I was made ward clerk 2 months ago), a new baby was born and 4 months later was blessed ... so that blessing was 6 months ago.

The baby does NOT appear in the ward directory, but they do exist as a non-member child (but not a household member) when I look at the parent's records.

On that screen (the only place where I can see the child), I have 3 options to "Is this child a member of the church?", see attached image.
  1. "Yes" - this requires me to enter their membership number, which doesn't exist.
  2. "No" - this is what the current status is. Baby was entered as a nonmember even though born under the covenant and parents filled out form to create a record. This is what is selected when I click the edit icon next to the child's name. It only allows me to change things like birthday, name, death.
  3. "I need to create a record" - this just gives me a message to use the "Create Record" function. The "Create Record" function does not work because it detects that the baby already exists. So not helpful.
When I go to "Create Record", after it detects the baby already exists, it says "If the record you are trying to create is listed above, please use "Click this Record"..." See attached. Here's this thing, there is no button that says "Click this Record". The "Click this Record" button only exists if a record entry was started for a MEMBER, but not completed. In this case, the record was incorrectly created as a nonmember and the entry was completed. So "Create Record" is a nonstarter.

So I'm like 99% sure I can fix this myself if I delete the existing record of the baby, which I can do. But my stake clerk recommended I have salt lake fix it. When I talked to salt lake, they said they'd fix it, but that was a week ago.

So what's the worst that would happen if I just delete that incorrect record (the baby is a born-under-covenant member, not a nonmember), and start over? What's the point of allowing me to delete the bogus record, if I'm not supposed to use that function?
Attachments
createRecordProblem.jpg
no - use this record.jpg
eblood66

Re: LCR says baby exists, but doesn't

Post by eblood66 »

Deleting the child in the parents' records shouldn't have any ill effects. A non-member child entry is never linked to any other information so you can't lose anything other than that child record. So as long as you create a record for the child afterward, everything should be good.

But just to be sure, I would recommend doing a search for an existing record that wasn't correctly linked to the parents. Basically try to do a Move In for the child. If nothing shows up then you should be fine.
davea0511

Re: LCR says baby exists, but doesn't

Post by davea0511 »

Cool ... I tried the move in and no records matched. So I'll go ahead and do that. Thanks!

Return to “Membership Help”