Gospel Library Complaints

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
stevechild

Gospel Library Complaints

Post by stevechild »

As a ward clerk I am often asked to help members with all the church apps. I'm starting to get complaints that the Gospel Library app is getting too complicated as it "improves". Because I have a large database, I have had problems with it for years. Every time there is an update the app has problems and I have been happy to work with the app developers by finding and reporting glitches, as well as provide access to my data to help fix problems. I live in a small ward that consists mostly of retirees. These older folks are struggling with using the app. Each time there is an upgrade they get frustrated because there are more steps to do what they know how to do. I've worked hard to get members to use the various apps, but folks are beginning to go back to hard copy scriptures, etc. We've had more requests this year for manuals than previous years because people are frustrated with the app. I have been asked if it is necessary to "improve" an app that worked fine for most people a few years ago. I'm curious if others feel the same way. Should the app be walked back to simpler times?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Library Complaints

Post by rmrichesjr »

Might one option for some be the simple or basic web pages for scriptures and perhaps other website features? When I first accessed online scriptures on my 4G Android flip phone, it took me to basic.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures. It's a simpler UI.
stevechild

Post by stevechild »

The online scriptures have the same problems the mobile apps have. For instance, if you wish to create a link, you must remember or write down the destination for the link because when you click on the hyperlink it doesn't take you to the destination. There are added unnecessary steps to get there. The hyperlinks should take you to the destination like the Windows version of the app does. This one is a big complaint for the less tech savvy folks... even someone like me who is tech savvy doesn't like these unnecessary steps. We need to back off the unnecessary upgrades that create more steps and go back to simpler times.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

We need to back off the unnecessary upgrades that create more steps and go back to simpler times.
It sounds like you've had multiple interactions with submitting bug reports via Feedback, so you may be aware of this aspect. From what I understand, the actual target customers of most all tech changes the Church implements, are the sponsoring Church departments and not us as members. Sometimes the Church's needs and our member needs overlap, other times not. It may well seem counter-intuitive, but most decisions about features, timing, and priorities, are based on needs that the Church internally determines.

If you're hoping to get momentum from other Forum members to add their voices and submit similar Feedback, that's always welcome. But the reality is that even if there's logic and support for a certain member request, the Church may not be aligned with that, or may agree but still decide to use their limited resources to pursue other deliverables.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the intent of your post, if so then just let me know what you're actually hoping might occur.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

This link to Gospel Library Questions and Answers may help. I posted this in my weekly newsletter to members.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... q?lang=eng
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Having a 'simple' version you can turn on that has the scriptures, general conference, and come follow me, might be a great suggestion to improve member engagement
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

johnshaw wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:48 pm Having a 'simple' version you can turn on that has the scriptures, general conference, and come follow me, might be a great suggestion to improve member engagement
You just described the Home section of the app. :) If you use Home as your main navigation path instead of Library, you have quick links to the most important content (Scriptures, latest General Conference, current Come, Follow Me, and Hymns), without all the clutter of 3000 publications. You can simplify it further by hiding Home cards you don't use.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
stevechild

Post by stevechild »

zaneclark wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:42 am This link to Gospel Library Questions and Answers may help. I posted this in my weekly newsletter to members.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... q?lang=eng
There's nothing in the FAQ I don't know. It's frustrating to see such a great tool for study, journaling, preparing lessons, etc, become more complicated. The older folks trying to use it are giving up on it. I'm tech savvy and I have considered giving up on the app. I don't because I have put years into using this app and have very large database now.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

stevechild wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:41 am The online scriptures have the same problems the mobile apps have. For instance, if you wish to create a link, you must remember or write down the destination for the link because when you click on the hyperlink it doesn't take you to the destination. There are added unnecessary steps to get there. The hyperlinks should take you to the destination like the Windows version of the app does. This one is a big complaint for the less tech savvy folks... even someone like me who is tech savvy doesn't like these unnecessary steps. We need to back off the unnecessary upgrades that create more steps and go back to simpler times.
Could you describe this issue more? Links usually take me to the linked content. But there are a lot of types of links in the app – scripture reference links in a manual, footnote links in the scriptures, annotation cross-reference links, inline hyperlinks in a note, quick links on Home, etc. – so it's possible I'm not understanding correctly.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
stevechild

Post by stevechild »

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I don't come on to the forum very often. The hyperlinks provided by the Gospel Library are one-way only. Two-way links would save a lot of work and time making gospel studies, talks and lessons preparation much easier and user friendly. The hyperlink at point A is nice to have, but let’s say I have written notes on point A and in the future, I am studying or preparing something using point B. That two-way link I create allows me access to my notes at point A with one click. This allows me faster access to information I may need from studies I did years before. I don’t have to go looking for that information. The two-way hyperlink solves this problem. If the Gospel Library app made all provided hyperlinks two-way it would save a lot of time and effort and make studies and preparation much more efficient and make it unnecessary for me to create my own hyperlink. Granted this would make the footnotes much larger, but this may be a fair tradeoff for those of us wanting to take full advantage of what the Gospel Library offers in the way of studying and preparing. I can’t even begin to count how many times the two-way hyperlinks I created have helped me to enhance gospel discussions, create talks or prepare lessons quickly.

Return to “Gospel Library”