Lehi Network - Persistent iOS Issues

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
alpace

Lehi Network - Persistent iOS Issues

Post by alpace »

I'm the STS for my stake. Regularly, when I update the Lehi network password, users on iOS devices have trouble reconnecting. I personally use an iPhone 12 Pro. It's up-to-date with the latest iOS. Today, prior to stake conference, I've been trying to reconnect using the new Lehi password I set about a month ago.

I've removed the network from my phone, rebooted the phone, and reconnected. It seems no matter what I do, my phone always shows "No Internet Connection". My laptop (a MacBook with M1 chipset) connected fine, but I had to go through the same routine to reconnect.

Anyone else have a similar experience with the Lehi network and iOS?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Lehi Network - Persistent iOS Issues

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you able to get to the Wi-Fi network's terms of use page if you try to try to open a page in Safari?
You could try one of these suggestions: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/298060/ipad-doesnt-display-the-captive-portal-login-window-after-connecting-to-a-wifi
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I didn't think Lehi has a TOS page. That's one if it's attractions.

I'm not a iPhone user, but I wonder if the network connection is stored in the cloud somewhere and not really being deleted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:43 pm I didn't think Lehi has a TOS page. That's one if it's attractions.
Lehi does not, but the password is likely to change regularly, and the SSID is not always available. It is better to figure out the Liahona Network and use it, because that one is almost always there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:54 pm It is better to figure out the Liahona Network and use it, because that one is almost always there.
The operative word is "almost". It's possible that OP needs to use the connection when Liahona is shutdown. The problem is his device isn't cooperating with the password changes.

I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't come back and say 'That didn't work. You have the current password?" But then again, I've seen computers try so hard the end up locking the owner out after just one bad attempt on the owner's part.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WarEagle34

Post by WarEagle34 »

When activating the Lehi network we always have to tell everyone to go into their network settings and “forget network” and discover it again and reenter password. I’m not savvy enough to know why that is required, but it always works.
Munniac

Post by Munniac »

I've been in this field for a long time. I have dealt with Meraki since they became public. This may be something that you escalate. Most issues like this are on the hardware level and may need to be addressed with a firmware update on the firewall, switch, and/or AP. They are also using some sort of interface that the church built and it may be taking a while for the settings to propagate. iOS is picky but it usually just works. I wonder what channels and technology they are broadcasting on. That is the biggest tech issue that I have had with iOS is having issues between 2.4 and 5Ghz. If the SSID is broadcasting on both there may be an issue. I usually set my devices to not use 2.4 Ghz if I know that they are all newer but that is set on the AP/Network side.
natet

Post by natet »

Not with the Lehi network, but I have a bishop who is complaining that he loses connectivity on the Liahona network 15 to 20 times a day in one of our buildings. He claims to have been warned about "connection issues" by the other wards in the building (their ward recently moved into the building), but I have never heard any complaints from anyone other than him (or his stake president, they are in another stake). I'm at a loss. We have the same equipment with the same configuration. Signal quality looks good pretty much throughout the building. We do have the Lehi network, and of course the password is different than what was at the building they moved from, so we thought it was that his phone was trying to connect to Lehi. But that now seems not to be the case.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Some devices won't turn lose of an AP and try to hold onto it even after they've gone to the other end of the building.

Many people blame the network for any connectivity problems. For example, if LCR goes down, people blame the WiFi. You may need to see exactly what he's doing to figure it out. He might be trying to go somewhere that's blocked but the blocking is inconsistent.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”