Sealing Cancelations

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
KarenSSanderson

Re: Sealing Cancelations

Post by KarenSSanderson »

Something similar my husband ex wife were sealed she requested the cancelation over 5 yrs ago it was approved I still have that confirmation of the cancelation letter, my husband and I are trying to get sealed but they are still needing a clearance letter. Which is frustrating but why the Ex is now sealed to her new husband. Any ideas or tips?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I know it isn't very comforting, but you need to meet with with your bishop or stake president. No one on this user-to-user mutual tech help forum has the keys for your specific situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KarenSSanderson wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:15 pm my husband and I are trying to get sealed but they are still needing a clearance letter. Which is frustrating but why the Ex is now sealed to her new husband. Any ideas or tips?
I'd talk with the bishop to make sure everything has been submitted and there's no holdup at the ward or stake level.

You didn't say how long you'd been waiting. It may take time before it finally gets it'd due at the top-level meetings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Something similar my husband ex wife were sealed she requested the cancelation over 5 yrs ago it was approved I still have that confirmation of the cancelation letter, my husband and I are trying to get sealed but they are still needing a clearance letter. Which is frustrating but why the Ex is now sealed to her new husband. Any ideas or tips?
As mentioned previously, GHB 38.4 describes many details about temple sealings, cancellations, and clearances. Many members do not understand that even after a temple sealing is cancelled, a male is still required to get a clearance to be sealed again, while a female does not require that step. The clearance for male members is required regardless of whether the previous spouse remains unmarried, or has been sealed again in the temple.

As suggested, speaking directly with your Bishop is the approved way to get answers about your specific circumstance; each situation is so personalized and unique, that it is impossible for a single rule to adequately address the complexities surrounding each individual case. GHB 38.4 states the Bishop can then ask the Stake President for clarification, who is then authorized as needed to contact either the Temple Presidency, Area Presidency, or Office of the First Presidency.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

KarenSSanderson wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:15 pm Something similar my husband ex wife were sealed she requested the cancelation over 5 yrs ago it was approved I still have that confirmation of the cancelation letter, my husband and I are trying to get sealed but they are still needing a clearance letter. Which is frustrating but why the Ex is now sealed to her new husband. Any ideas or tips?
The Clearance letter for sealing after one has been sealed in the past is an IMPORTANT process that was not part of the process years ago. One really difficult issue was men who were behind if child support were getting sealed again. Men and Women who were still involved with ugly custody situation, very unChrist-like behavior were able to get through the process. The clearance allows the church to ensure that the EX's of both parties (if there are any) aren't in any way harmed by moving forward with the new sealing.

Please don't hate the clearance process, like I said, it has protections built in so the church doesn't do harm like it has in the past, unknowingly, but this was the corrective action to some of these harmful issues.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
tracyface134

Post by tracyface134 »

What is the policy for women and sealing cancellations without the prospect of a pending sealing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sealing policies can be found in the General Handbook 38.4

Some highlights:
Church members make sacred covenants with God as they receive temple ordinances.
Those who keep their covenants will retain the individual blessings provided by the sealing. This is true even if the person’s spouse has broken the covenants or withdrawn from the marriage.
Members who have concerns about the eternal nature of the sealing ordinance and their associated family and spousal relationships are encouraged to trust in the Lord and seek His comfort.
Members of either gender may seek a sealing cancellation even if they are not preparing to be sealed to another spouse.
Note that canceling the sealing also cancels the individual blessings, which is why it's generally discouraged. Particularly since it's a saving ordnance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
byronbolen

Post by byronbolen »

The bar is set really really low now that women empowerment has flooded the policies of the church. Women can request it and it’s done.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

The bar is set really really low now that...
While most Forum members have strong personal opinions on a variety of subjects, we are encouraged to promote a welcoming environment that remains focused on the purpose of the Forum, and is always a friendly and helpful place for all who use it. The Code of Conduct outlines these policies, and helps us all feel connected and welcome as we discuss both simple and complicated matters.

Return to “General Discussions”