Clerk involvement in ministering assignments

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
leburnett

Clerk involvement in ministering assignments

Post by leburnett »

As a new ward clerk, I'm wondering what my level of involvement in ministering assignments should be?

As I went through the quarterly report to try to make sure things were in order before submitting it, I noticed ministering interviews and general class/quorum attendance.
I asked around to each organization secretary to verify that attendance was up to date.

Then I messaged the EQ and RS presidents to ask about ministering interviews. They both expressed some frustration and said they would get in and update it. I ask why the frustration and they said they're generally frustrated with making ministering assignments for a few reasons. This made me wonder what my invovlement or responsibility is with ministering. Nothing? Anything?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Clerk involvement in ministering assignments

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I know, the clerk's job is to help them out if they have problems as well as to prod them when needed.

Looking though the Handbook section "21 - Ministering", I don't see anything about the clerk.

If it were me, I'd let the bishop know what's going on. It's probably a symptom of them struggling in their calling and nothing to do with you. They may need some help from the bishop and/or the respective stake leadership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Re: Clerk involvement in ministering assignments

Post by BrianEdwards »

They may need some help from the bishop and/or the respective stake leadership.
Agreed, with the caveat that I'd push for Stake leaders support. For example, GHB 6.5.1 and 6.7.1 state the responsibilities of the Stake HC assigned to an EQ, and the Stake RS Presidency. While Stake leaders do a lot of good, sometimes the best thing they can do is offload items like this from a local clerk or Bishop. As russellhltn suggested, talk with the Bishop, and suggest he reach out to the Stake leaders and request they take the lead on supporting the EQ and RS presidencies with their ministering efforts.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”