“App Not Assigned” Chromebook adding new user error

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aslade

Re: “App Not Assigned” Chromebook adding new user error

Post by aslade »

lajackson wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:02 pm The FAQ says, Anyone using the GUEST account can open and use any of the Church provided websites like LCR using their Church Account. Is this not correct? Or does this not allow access to other things on the ward Chromebook that they desire to use?
You are correct. Users can still use the Guest account to access LCR. The disadvantage to the Guest account is that additional apps (e.g. Member Tools), preferences, and local file storage are not available options. Everything gets reset when the user is done. That’s not a problem for many users. But it could be a detriment to frequent users. For example, display preferences, including for external displays, for optimal comfort, convenience, and efficiency would need to be set every time the user logs in. Normally not a big issue. But when a clerk and a counselor have family and/or other members to attend to, being as efficient as possible when processing donations every week can mean a world of difference.

For this reason, I’m also at a loss to fully understand why Bishopric/Branch Counselors are not included in the list of users who can create a local profile/account. I would imagine some counselors may also benefit from the added features available only to users with a local profile/account.
aslade

Re: “App Not Assigned” Chromebook adding new user error

Post by aslade »

Update:
It seems that some users may not have their accounts automatically updated in all the right databases to gain the expected permissions for regular access to Chromebooks according to their callings. My understanding is that a manual process to correct this can be requested. Start by contacting the Global Service Center and they can create a ticket to have it processed by another team.
It’s not entirely clear to me who may be affected by this scenario. But it may have to do with the timing of when the individual was called. I’m wondering if perhaps scripts to synchronize the relevant databases may have been offline during some periods. So new callings to positions that should normally be authorized for this might have been missed, I’m guessing.

Return to “Clerk Computers”