How to respond to The Change in FHAR

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: How to respond to The Change in FHAR

Post by jdlessley »

Hilohi wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:12 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but a quick and easy way to see if a member's Family Search account is linked to his/her church account is the member's account will have the "Temple" link in the row of links in the top left corner on the Family Search webpage.
Just to be clear, a Church member's Church Account and their Family Search account are separate accounts and are not linked directly. In fact, a member or nonmember can have multiple Church Accounts and multiple Family Search accounts. Changes in the profiles of any of those accounts will not affect any of the other accounts. The key that connects one Church Account to one Family Search account is the membership record number (MRN). It is the ability to have multiple Church Accounts and multiple Family Search accounts that causes confusion and difficulties for some Church members.

You are correct that if the menu item "Temple" is displayed on the Family Search menu bar then that Family Search account has a MRN registered in that user's profile. Only work done with that Family Search account will include temple information for that account holder.

Even the display of the "Temple" menu item is not a good indicator the account has been properly set up for that account holder. Always check the account profile for the correct MRN. Sometimes, and because of long ago traditions, member couples will use their spouses MRN when creating accounts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: How to respond to The Change in FHAR

Post by aebrown »

Hilohi wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:12 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but a quick and easy way to see if a member's Family Search account is linked to his/her church account is the member's account will have the "Temple" link in the row of links in the top left corner on the Family Search webpage.
That technique is generally okay for determining if a person's account is linked to their Church membership. However, there is one case where that technique is not reliable. As I noted in my previous post, there is a setting for "Show Temple Options"; if that is turned off, you won't see the Temple menu, even if your account is linked to your Church membership. Rarely do Church members turn off that setting, but it does happen (sometimes on purpose and sometimes unintentionally). So the most reliable technique to answer this question is to go to Account Settings.

Return to “Family History”