Marking previously baptized member as not accountable

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
trevoro

Marking previously baptized member as not accountable

Post by trevoro »

Branch President here. I have an adult AGED member who has been previously baptized, but probably shouldn't have. She has a 4th grade mentality (according to mental health professionals working with her) and in my interviews with her, she very clearly can't understand simple doctrinal concepts such as who or what the prophet is or does. For some reason, a leader before me and the missionaries determined she was eligible for baptism. Now I can't mark her record as "not accountable." She has been pushing to get a temple recommend for baptisms and I had to have a couple uncomfortable conversations with her to gently help her understand why she can't attend the temple (based on the criteria laid out in the handbook) but she has since come to accept it. I would like to mark her record for the benefit of future branch presidents or bishops, but the option is not there due to her having been baptized.

What should I do in this case?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Marking previously baptized member as not accountable

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. I doubt if that's listed in the Handbook anywhere.

Some thoughts:
- Call GSD to see if they have any good ideas
- Talk with your stake president/mission president to send this "up the line".
- Look in LCR if there's any options to contact the First Presidency. (They might need to get involved with this)

I'm guessing the last one is the right answer with the first two to make sure there isn't another way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
paulpicard

Post by paulpicard »

I have a similar situation. have you gotten a good answer yet
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I have a similar situation. have you gotten a good answer yet
I assume you have already read GHB 33.6.10 and 38.2.4. As mentioned in the O.P., I believe the "Not Accountable" designation is only applicable to somebody with a membership record, who is 8 years or older, and unbaptized. Once baptized, I am not aware of any way to mark a record with a "Not Accountable" designation, and all future ordinances seem to be available in LCR without any way to flag them. The counsel in the Handbook seems to be that this is simply taken under consideration by the Bishop as to any further ordinances, and he can consult with his Stake President if he has questions.

When a Bishop is released, there are always at least a few members with specific situations that the new Bishop should be made aware of, with any variety of complicated personal circumstances. I think this seems to fall into that category.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:50 pm Once baptized, I am not aware of any way to mark a record with a "Not Accountable" designation,
In that situation, I'd contact support, or use "special request" to request the change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'd be interested to know if the system currently supports having the Unaccountable flag show up for a baptized member, so a future Bishop would have to manually deselect that prior to allowing for the member to receive a future ordinance. Hopefully if @paulpicard contacts support, he returns to the Forum with an update, so others can find out whether that is possible.
gregneg

Post by gregneg »

Generally, a good question that covers senility, head trauma, and more.

The specific example of an adult having the officially diagnosed/ deemed mentality of a 4th grader-- that is generally kids 9-10 years old. That begs the question of her baptism, I would think.
The temple recommends are for kids generally at the 6th grade level -- there it is, not "accountability".

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”