ISP = Cell/Hot Spot - do we need to configure the meetinghouse equipment differently?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
RyanGard1977

ISP = Cell/Hot Spot - do we need to configure the meetinghouse equipment differently?

Post by RyanGard1977 »

At one of the buildings I help maintain, we utilize a Cradle Point cell data provider for the ISP - Do we need to configure the Meraki/Firewall differently for this type of connection? While we can get upwards of 50M down right from the device, when connected to the network, we are getting 1.0-1.5M down, even with no one on the wifi network and all computers in the building shut off. That makes me think there is a configuration issue. I have reset everything several times, starting with the firewall then the meraki.

Note- We will only be utilizing cradle point for another week or two and then a Starlink system will be installed in short order, however- the ward and stake clerks are finding it hard to connect to various church websites with how slow things are right now.

Prior to the temporary cradle point solution, we were utilizing a microwave data link, that gave us up to 5M down, however- that company recently went out of business. No DSL or Cable providers available to this building for another few years until the area gets built out more.

Thank you for your suggestions/comments.

Ryan
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: ISP = Cell/Hot Spot - do we need to configure the meetinghouse equipment differently?

Post by russellhltn »

Since you're getting a different connection in the next couple of weeks, I doubt if anyone will make the effort to fix this.

If you still have a problem, then I'd call support. Most of us here are just members in callings and don't have to power to change configurations. Only MHT does.

You might try different connecting cables. Maybe you've got a bad one that's forcing the connection to be slower.

You can open up a web browser and go to the router's IP. You'll get a web page that shows you connection information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Re: ISP = Cell/Hot Spot - do we need to configure the meetinghouse equipment differently?

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Thanks Russ. I did call them but they were not of much help. This morning I finally put 2+2 together and realized that at this building they are probably hitting the data cap for the cell plan of that hotspot thing which is automatically throttling back the speeds. I would have realized this much sooner back 5-10 years ago when my mind was sharper and quicker.
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is there any data cap with Starlink? If so, you might want to consult with leaders about when the network is really needed and keep it off at other times.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Some plans have it, most don't.
Ryan Gardner
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Thanks again Russ. Just as a follow-up we did get Starlink successfully installed at this building and it is working wonderfully. The FM Manager ordered the Starlink equipment and delivered it to the building, and then notified me. He had his Admin Assistant who coordinates with church HQ set up an account with Starlink and I coordinated with an independent installer who came out and we got things installed in under 4 hours. Plugged it in, restarted all the equipment, and we were live.
Ryan Gardner

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”