Gospel Library not Syncing on iPad

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
jgriffin27

Re: Gospel Library not Syncing on iPad

Post by jgriffin27 »

I am having the same issue. Works on IPhone but iPad stopped syncing Nov. 9th according to Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. I have tried logging out and back in. Turning off iPad. Both devices are on the same version 5.3.1 11261. Absent reloading the whole program and losing my recent work, I am not sure what to do.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

alicejensen wrote:How does the sync function, anyway, aside from logging out/in, or quitting, relaunching app? Is it pushed immediately, or every so many minutes? It would be nice if there was a "sync now" button.
This is how it's supposed to work, but it sounds like there may be issues:

iOS
– When you create an annotation, the app should sync it up to the server immediately. If there are changes from other devices, it uses the opportunity to sync down as well.
– Apps are closed by the operating system after they've been in the background for a while (a few hours, or sooner if the phone is doing memory-intensive tasks). When you launch the app after it's been closed by the OS, the app should sync both up and down.
– If you force close the app by swiping it out of recent apps, when you launch it again, the app should sync both up and down.
– If you sign out and sign back in, the app should sync both up and down. (When you sign out, local annotations remain on the device in a user-specific database, but the app switches to an "anonymous" database so those user annotations are no longer visible. Signing in switches you back to the user-specific database.)
– Deleting and reinstalling the app, then signing in, should cause the latest annotations that are on the server to sync down. It can also fix issues when the app is in a bad state, if it is frequently misbehaving. However, depending on how you use the app, this should be a last resort, because items that don't sync – screens, study plans, settings, and downloaded books and media – will not be preserved.

There have been some interesting issues with iOS 13 related to apps never closing in the background or closing in the background too quickly. It's likely there are some changes to how the OS handles closing apps in the background that need to be taken into account.

Android
– When you create an annotation, the app waits 30 seconds to make sure there are no more changes, then it should sync it up to the server immediately (the 30 seconds gets reset if another change is made). If there are changes from other devices, it uses the opportunity to sync down as well.
– The app should check for changes on a 12-hour schedule (including in the background) and sync both up and down.
– If you force close the app by swiping it out of recent apps, when you launch it again, the app should sync both up and down.
– If you pull down on the main library screen or while viewing content, the app should sync both up and down (pulling down on the main library screen also checks for content updates).
– Signing out and back in should cause the app to sync, however, on Android, local annotations DO NOT remain on the device when you sign out. So, if you have annotations on your Android device that haven't synced up yet, signing out on that device will delete them.
– Deleting and reinstalling the app, then signing in, should cause the latest annotations that are on the server to sync down. It can also fix issues when the app in a bad state, if it is frequently misbehaving. However, depending on how you use the app, this should be a last resort, because items that don't sync – screens, study plans, settings, and downloaded books and media – will not be preserved.

Variations in internet connectivity (no connection, poor connections [LDSAccess, captive portal], intermittent connections [commuting], filtered connections [VPN, ad blocking, content filtering]), OS changes, and platform differences in how annotations are created and synced (iOS, Android, Windows, old online study tools, Gospel Library Online) make sync issues difficult to debug, especially when the developers aren't able to see the issues on their own devices. If nothing above works, I'm not sure what to recommend, other than sending feedback.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jwschouten

Post by jwschouten »

Having the same issue described above, same details regarding logging out and in, etc, except that it is now four years later. I had uninstalled and reinstalled the app which was always my final solution, but even that didn't work. It is very disappointing that the same bugs don't ever get fixed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jwschouten wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:02 pm Having the same issue described above, same details regarding logging out and in, etc, except that it is now four years later. I had uninstalled and reinstalled the app which was always my final solution, but even that didn't work. It is very disappointing that the same bugs don't ever get fixed.
What model iPad? Once an OS falls out of support, Apple doesn't really allow any updates for apps running on it. Meanwhile, the church moves on to more secure services but can't update the older iOS devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
iyqkara

Post by iyqkara »

How do you know when an OS falls out of support? I have a 5th generation iPad. I finally resorted to logging into the website, on my iPad, because I cannot get the app to sync. I have the same problem as everyone else on this thread. It syncs on my phone (although when I sign in and out, it says sync failed). I do a forced sync by pulling down on the middle of the screen from the library page on the app, on my phone. After this, I can see my changes online/on the website. I tried the same thing on my iPad and it didn't work. :( I even tried erasing and downloading the app again, but it's still not syncing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

iyqkara wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:29 pm How do you know when an OS falls out of support? I have a 5th generation iPad.
According to the Apple App Store, you need to be on iOS 15 or later to run the current version of the app.

It looks like your device can be upgraded to that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jwschouten

Post by jwschouten »

I know everything was working and updating during October 2023 General conference but sometime end of October early November it stopped. I suspect that a recent update has a software bug. I can no longer update not only my iPad but either iPhone. I am now using the church website on safari. I hope they fix it soon
jwschouten

Post by jwschouten »

Is there anything new on this the inability to sync any of my Apple devices is very frustrating.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”