Ward Mission Leader Budget Access

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
garnerkd

Ward Mission Leader Budget Access

Post by garnerkd »

Hello all. Maybe this is a super obvious question to most but I'm trying to prepare the 2024 budget and the bishopric discussed adding a Ward Mission budget category with the ward mission leader having access but as I've been trying to add that category it appears it's not an option. For that matter, it looks like giving access to the ward mission leader to have access to any budget isn't possible either.

Am I just missing something or is that actually not an option? If so, why?

Thanks
eblood66

Re: Ward Mission Leader Budget Access

Post by eblood66 »

You can't add new top level categories but you can add a sub-category under something like Administration or Miscellaneous (or perhaps Elders Quorum). But you can't give online access to anyone other than the presidency of one (or more) of the these organizations: Relief Society, Sunday School, Young Men, Young Women and Primary. So there is no way to give the Ward Mission Leader online access (or to allow him to submit online reimbursements).

As for why, I don't know. Access seems to be restricted to organization presidencies and I don't think that the ward mission is considered a ward organization. But then again the Elders Quorum is also not included.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

eblood66 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:39 pm You can't add new top level categories but you can add a sub-category under something like Administration or Miscellaneous (or perhaps Elders Quorum). But you can't give online access to anyone other than the presidency of one (or more) of the these organizations: Relief Society, Sunday School, Young Men, Young Women and Primary. So there is no way to give the Ward Mission Leader online access (or to allow him to submit online reimbursements).

As for why, I don't know. Access seems to be restricted to organization presidencies and I don't think that the ward mission is considered a ward organization. But then again the Elders Quorum is also not included.
What I am seeing in the access table is the Elders Quorum Presidency having access to the same budget menu items that others mentioned above have, except Young Men Presidency is no longer listed in the access table, since that is the Bishopric now. You still have a Young Men budget of course though.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since the Elders Quorum oversees the work of the ward mission leader (General Handbook, 8.2.3) then a budget sub-category of the Elders Quorum would be appropriate. As such, the Elders Quorum budget total would include the ward mission budget. But unfortunately, the only way the ward mission leader would have access to see that budget, manage that budget, or submit payment requests through Member Tools or LCR Budget is if he is one of the Elders Quorum counselors. The ward mission leader, if not an Elders Quorum presidency counselor, would have to submit payment requests to a member of the Elders Quorum presidency. The Elders Quorum presidency counselor assigned to oversee the ward mission leader work could keep him informed of budget balances and expenses.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

garystroble wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:08 pm What I am seeing in the access table is the Elders Quorum Presidency having access to the same budget menu items that others mentioned above have, except Young Men Presidency is no longer listed in the access table, since that is the Bishopric now. You still have a Young Men budget of course though.
You're right that the Access Table shows that the Elder Quorum has assess to the budget summary page which is good. But when you edit the Budget categories, there is no option to give them access to any custom categories like there is for the other organizations. I would assume they automatically have access to the Elders Quorum budget and possibly to any custom sub-categories (which, assuming it's true, means jdlessley's suggestion is indeed a good fit). But it isn't possible to give the Elders Quorum access to a sub-category under something else like Administration or Misc.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

I show 6 groups when I edit on the Manage Categories page

Relief Society
Young Women
Sunday School
Young Men
Primary
Elders Quorum
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

eblood66 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:23 am
garystroble wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:08 pm What I am seeing in the access table is the Elders Quorum Presidency having access to the same budget menu items that others mentioned above have, except Young Men Presidency is no longer listed in the access table, since that is the Bishopric now. You still have a Young Men budget of course though.
You're right that the Access Table shows that the Elder Quorum has assess to the budget summary page which is good. But when you edit the Budget categories, there is no option to give them access to any custom categories like there is for the other organizations. I would assume they automatically have access to the Elders Quorum budget and possibly to any custom sub-categories (which, assuming it's true, means jdlessley's suggestion is indeed a good fit). But it isn't possible to give the Elders Quorum access to a sub-category under something else like Administration or Misc.
What I am seeing still seems to treat Elders Quorum like the other organizations in the ward in budget on the set-up menu. Look at admin. and it is an option for the 6 listed in the above post.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kd7mha wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:01 pm I show 6 groups when I edit on the Manage Categories page

Relief Society
Young Women
Sunday School
Young Men
Primary
Elders Quorum
Oops. I really wasn't thinking. I was looking at my stake screen but it should have been obvious to me that I wouldn't see an Elders Quorum organization since there isn't such a thing at the stake level.

So, please all, ignore everything I said about that!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:23 am But it isn't possible to give the Elders Quorum access to a sub-category under something else like Administration or Misc.
Just so we do not confuse anyone only reading a portion of this thread, that statement is inaccurate at the ward and branch level. When setting up or editing a unit subcategory any of the unit organization presidencies can be granted permissions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Back to the O.P., the Handbook description of a Ward Mission Leader's calling (GHB 23.5.3) uses wording like support, coordinate, lead, attend, help, arrange, and work with. Although in practice it makes a lot of sense to want the Ward Mission Leader to have access to (and thus help plan and track) this budget subcategory, in his support role it also makes sense that he'd not be included in that direct level of awareness.

I see this as a bit analogous to a ward that organizes an activities committee (and perhaps even designates one committee member as the "chair"). Any budget info this committee (or the "chair") wants to track regarding ward activities, would have to come via the assigned Ward Council member that is in contact with the committee.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”