In your unit, how are YSA funds handled (for non-YSA-only units)?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jgoggan

In your unit, how are YSA funds handled (for non-YSA-only units)?

Post by jgoggan »

I am curious how YSA budgets are handled in other areas. In our Ward (which is in a college town), we have around 18 YSAs and they often have normal weekly activities. Those often have some expenses associated with them. We have been paying those out of our normal budget (we have added a YSA category under Administration to track it). For our incoming Ward budget funds, 100% of the YSA budget allowance is kept by our Stake. They do have some Stake-wide YSA activities during the year, so maybe all of the funds are being used there -- since we don't see them.

I'm just curious if this is how other units operate? (Again, we are a "normal" Ward with a handful of YSAs -- not a YSA-only Ward and we have none of those in our Stake.) Basically, the YSAs are taking up a fairly substantial percentage of our Ward budget -- but we get no funding for them for those weekly activities since the Stake keeps 100% of our allocation for the 18 YSAs.

Also, anyone know why there is such a jump in the YSA allocation for 2024? It looks like it is going from $25/YSA/year to more than double that. I mean, that is great, but I was just curious if it had to do with some YSA event for 2024 or something where it is increased to cover that and then will drop down again in 2025 or something.

Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: In your unit, how are YSA funds handled (for non-YSA-only units)?

Post by jdlessley »

jgoggan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm Also, anyone know why there is such a jump in the YSA allocation for 2024? It looks like it is going from $25/YSA/year to more than double that. I mean, that is great, but I was just curious if it had to do with some YSA event for 2024 or something where it is increased to cover that and then will drop down again in 2025 or something.
Per the 9 November, 2023, 2024 Budget Management and New Rates notice, all the attendance rates went up effective January 2024 for all future allowance computations. The increase in the Young Single Adult quarterly attendance allowance amount went from $6.25 to $14.50 in the quarterly allowance computation. For 2024 and beyond, the Young Single Adult attendance figure is calculated by multiplying the number of single adults (ages 18 to 30) from membership records [on the last day of the quarter] by the percent of sacrament meeting attendance from line 7 of the Quarterly Report. The quarterly allowance is this attendance number multiplied by $14.50.

How the unit allowance is allocated is determined by each stake. Our stake keeps a percentage of the overall unit allowance and allocates the remainder to the units.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Our stake kept the YSA allowance because we have a YSA branch. Since your stake does not have one, I would ask the stake to send you some of the YSA allowance, especially since your ward is having YSA activities. The alternative would be to ask the stake for reimbursement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:26 pm Our stake kept the YSA allowance because we have a YSA branch.
Which only seems fair if the YSA in your ward attend their ward activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”