Girls Camp expenses in 2023

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Girls Camp expenses in 2023

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:31 pm When I spoke to the GSD they said it was that and also because the funds are not budget funds but rather non-charitable contributions.
Nice theory, but unless I'm missing something, the funds are co-mingled. It seems like it would complicate things to try and track it and determine how much of what remains at the end of year is budget and how much is non-charitable contributions. That goes against what I've posted in another thread about the need to keep rules simple and why the carry-over rule seems strange.

I think the fact they're in the ward is what keeps them safe.

Although, if you were to call about a sweep that included the non-charitable contributions, you'd stand a much better chance of getting that back.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I mentioned the co-mingling issue in a call to the GSD back when they announced discontinuing the Other:AMFA category. The response I got then was the Church would treat funds deposited into any budget category as a non-charitable contribution. As for tracking those funds in relation to co-mingling, they didn't have a response then as to how the finance department handled that. When I talked to them on Friday I did not mention co-mingling or tracking budget funds versus non-charitable contributions. I have been at a loss ever since the discontinuation of the Other:AMFA category how they track the two, if they even do, and how that affects their charitable organization status.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

If ward raised money in 2023 for 2024 camp how do they preserve the money from getting cleared on January 2nd? Or better, what should they have done to preserve the money?
From what I understand, stakes have full discretion whether they "sweep" any funds from wards at the end of the year, or if they allow wards to retain their full rollover amounts (and the Church does not do any automatic sweeping of wards). So many wards will simply retain the 2023 camp funds in their top-level 2024 budget amount, as described in previous posts. If your stake does transfer funds from wards==>stake at the end of the year, then communication with the stake prior to any "sweeping", would allow the ward to retain those funds (probably the right thing no matter what due to the non-charitable issues, but also just a good idea to retain camp funds if possible). If funds were transferred from the ward to the stake prior to 12/31, and then the stake had those funds swept by the Church on 01/01 due to a 50% overage, that's a bit tricky. But if the stake was under the 50% limit and essentially still has those funds, I'd expect talking with the stake about this would convince them to transfer those specific funds back to the ward.

But that's just my understanding, and I'm no clerk... ;)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”