Gospel Voice Skill issues with Random Talk

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
shampto3

Gospel Voice Skill issues with Random Talk

Post by shampto3 »

I think it's great that the church has the Gospel Voice skill for Alexa and Google Assistant. I'm trying to get it to play a random talk from the most recent general conference, but it seems to only play a random talk from any general conference.

My input: "ask Gospel Voice to play a random talk from the October 2023 general conference"

The response I receive: "Okay, I will play a random talk." And then it plays a talk by Gordon B. Hinckley from before he was even the prophet.

I've tried this on both my Amazon Echo Dot and a Google Home Mini.

Is this a known issue? Does anybody else have this problem? I realize this is probably more of a niche issue so likely people haven't bothered to look into this.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Voice Skill issues with Random Talk

Post by sbradshaw »

From what I understand, third-party Alexa skills only work with a list of specific prompts they're programmed to handle – they're not smart enough to handle unstructured natural language like ChatGPT or Bard. I'm sure this will change over time. In the meantime, it would need to be put in as a feature request to support additional prompts like the one you suggested. There's a feedback email address here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/learn/gospel-voice?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
shampto3

Post by shampto3 »

I appreciate the response, but I'm not trying to do anything that isn't documented as a possible prompt.

According the Gospel Voice Alexa User Manual web page [1] the following is a provided option:
Option 4: Request a Random Talk from a Specific General Conference

User: “Alexa, ask Gospel Voice to play a random talk from the April 2020 general conference.”

Alexa: “OK, I will play a random talk from the April 2020 general conference: ‘Go Forward in Faith,’ by Russell M. Nelson, from the April 2020 general conference.”
However, this prompt does not work and only plays a random talk from any random general conference.

Thanks for providing the feedback email address though. I'll send them an email directly.

[1] https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... e?lang=eng
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Whoops, good find. It does sound like a bug. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Media Discussions”