Highlights not syncing between PC and mobile gospel library

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
bmclawson

Highlights not syncing between PC and mobile gospel library

Post by bmclawson »

For the last several months I have noticed that highlights and notes that I have made to scriptures while in Gospel Library on my PC are not showing up on my mobile and vice versa. My mobile is an android device and I access Gospel Library in Chrome on my PC. Is there something I can do to fix it?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Highlights not syncing between PC and mobile gospel library

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you signed in with the same Church Account on the website, and in Gospel Library? You can check if you're signed in, and what account you're using, in Gospel Library under the overflow menu (three dots in top right) > Settings.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bmclawson

Post by bmclawson »

I just ran a test where I marked a verse and added a note to it from the pc and then did the same to another verse on my Samsung note 9 with interesting results. The marking and nots from the pc were shown in the verse on the mobile but not in the verse from the mobile to the pc. It appears that the markings and notes/tags only sync from pc to mobile and not the other way. Interestingly, though, when I look in the Notes app on the pc it shows both the notes made on the pc and the mobile. I checked to see if this holds true by logging into two different browsers on two different computers in two different operating systems.
This problem has only shown up in the last couple of months and seems to have coincided with the introduction of Study Plans.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bmclawson wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:17 am I just ran a test where I marked a verse and added a note to it from the pc and then did the same to another verse on my Samsung note 9 with interesting results. The marking and nots from the pc were shown in the verse on the mobile but not in the verse from the mobile to the pc. It appears that the markings and notes/tags only sync from pc to mobile and not the other way. Interestingly, though, when I look in the Notes app on the pc it shows both the notes made on the pc and the mobile. I checked to see if this holds true by logging into two different browsers on two different computers in two different operating systems.
This problem has only shown up in the last couple of months and seems to have coincided with the introduction of Study Plans.
I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're seeing – you say "markings and notes/tags only sync from pc to mobile and not the other way" but then you say "when I look in the Notes app on the pc it shows both the notes made on the pc and the mobile." Do you see the notes from mobile on your PC or not?

I'm assuming that when you talk about your PC, you're talking about using Gospel Library Online (Study.ChurchofJesusChrist.org and/or Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org) in a web browser – is that correct? Or do you have the Windows, Android, or iOS version of Gospel Library installed as a standalone app on your PC, separate from the browser?
bmclawson

Post by bmclawson »

Let me try to clarify any confusion as to what I'm experiencing.

First of all none of this is a problem when syncing Gospel Library between an iPhone and a PC in a browser, only with my android phone.

On my PC running Ubuntu 22.04 I have logged into both the Notes and Gospel Library in a Chrome browser. On my android phone I have opened the Gospel Library app.

Test 1
Gospel Library on Android Phone: I mark 1 Ne 5:22 with a note and tag.
Gospel Library on PC: After logging out and back in 1 Ne 5:22 is not marked.
Notes on PC: After logging out and back in the note for 1 Ne 5:22 is present in the right side panel. The reference text is shown in the main panel. When I click on "1 Nephi 5:22" in the main panel it opens the full text of 1 Ne 5 and shows verse 22 highlighted with the note indicated.

Test 2
Gospel Library on PC: I mark 1 Ne 5:21 with a note and tag.
Gospel Library on Android Phone: After closing and re-opening the Gospel Library app I find that 1 Ne 5:21 is marked and the note and tag are present.
Notes on PC: The note for 1 Ne 5:21 is present.

My conclusion is that when a Gospel Library text is marked in the android phone Gospel Library app it does not sync with Gospel Library in a PC browser but it does sync with the Notes app in the PC browser. I have made the same tests on multiple pc's in both Ubuntu and Widows 10 and in both Chrome and Firefox browsers.

I would be happy to send screen shots of the tests if that would help clarify the issue.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Do you have multiple study sets in Gospel Library Online (in the browser)?

The Gospel Library app on Android or iOS will show your annotations from all study sets, but when a new annotation is created on Android or iOS, it's always created in the "Default" study set. If you're switched to a study set other than "Default" in Gospel Library Online, you won't see the annotations created on Android.
bmclawson

Post by bmclawson »

Switching to the "Default Set" solved it. Thank you.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”