Synced calendar appointments are delayed by one hour

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
haycock

Synced calendar appointments are delayed by one hour

Post by haycock »

I use synced calendars from LCR to Outlook 365. Before daylight savings time changed on March 10, 2024, synced calendar appointments were shown at the correct time in Outlook 365. Beginning Sunday, March 10, when we set our clocks ahead one hour for Pacific Daylight Time, all the appointments on my synced calendars from LCR are delayed by one hour in Outlook 365. Nothing else changed. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? I have already tried by deleting the synced calendars in Outlook and re-entering the URL's from LCR, to no avail. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Synced calendar appointments are delayed by one hour

Post by russellhltn »

You might check what time zone outlook is set for, along with what time zone the calendar events are set for.

You might also check the calendar on the webpage to make sure it's still showing the correct time there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
haycock

Post by haycock »

Outlook (UTC -08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) and the LCR calendars (America/Los_Angeles) are both set for the Pacific time zone.

My PC (Windows 11 Home) is also set to the Pacific time zone (UTC -08:00 Pacific Time (US & Canada)" and has the "Adjust for daylight saving time automatically" option set to 'ON.'

And the LCR calendar appointments on the webpage are shown at the correct times. The issue seems to be with how the .ics sync files are being generated and then imported as an internet calendar into Outlook 365.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

I seem to recall reading an earlier discussion on the topic of meeting times going askew across the switch between standard and daylight saving time. In case it might be relevant to this discussion, I seem to recall the bottom line was that the Church website's calendar app stores the time in local time rather than UTC, because most meetings follow local time. If you can find it, that other discussion might have some more details that might be useful.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 am I seem to recall the bottom line was that the Church website's calendar app stores the time in local time rather than UTC, because most meetings follow local time.
I'm not sure how the new one does it. It might store the time zone along with the event. I know the old one always converted back and forth to UTC.

I'd suggest pasting the sync URL into a browser. That will download an ICS file that you can open with a text editor. (Like Notepad). Look for lines that start with DTSTART or DTEND. That will include a time zone with the date/time. That will tell you if the error is in the sync file or how Outlook is interpreting it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”