LDS living circle

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
rnlwaltman1

LDS living circle

Post by rnlwaltman1 »

Hi all, I was wondering why the default for youth forums is view only with no parent participation. Parents aren’t included. I have asked to be included and it is very controversial and they won’t add me and some have even argued with me. I know there is a way for the admins to add anyone. We were all together in my last ward and now this ward is very adamant about not letting parents in. They call it an adult free chat, except there are still leaders in there. I’m not liking the feeling I get with parents not allowed to participate, so I took my children out of all chats. Is this how the church intended the chats to be to exclude parent participation in the youth chats? I think this should be done away with and everyone in youth and parents should be all included in the individual chats for youth.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS living circle

Post by lajackson »

The Church program managers determine the defaults on how a particular application will work. I am certain that they listen to feedback from users. Since it appears that you do not agree with those defaults, I would recommend that you send feedback through the app to explain the concerns that you have as a parent.

The Church will never take away your agency, either. So if you are not comfortable with the way your ward is handling the youth circles, you are certainly within your rights to not allow your youth to participate.

I believe that circles were intended to be youth centric. Your ward has adopted the policy that a few leaders will guide the discussions there. And so you have exercised your option to not allow your children to participate. The only other option I see would be to have regular and meaningful visits with your children and let them share with you the things that are being discussed in their circles.

Another possibility would be if parents could be added to the circles as read only. That would allow you to be aware of the discussions. I am not sure whether or not the software supports that. You could certainly ask in your feedback for that to be added as an option, and I imagine your leaders would support that.
rnlwaltman1

Re: LDS living circle

Post by rnlwaltman1 »

I appreciate the reply and explanation, but I disagree with having this option. We are heartbroken and frustrated that we had to remove our children out of the chats. Especially, since the church’ wants us to use this to communicate. We are also very confused as to why this “view option” is even an option at all? Parents should have full access all the time no matter what in these chats. I know we are not the only frustrated parents out there. Thank you again for your reply. Have a blessed day. 😊

Return to “Gospel Living App”