Name change

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
FlorenciaRR

Name change

Post by FlorenciaRR »

When I got married, my last name was automatically changed to my husband's last name. However, I never legally changed my last name. As such, I want to change my last name back to what it is legally.

The ward clerk tried to change my last name by updating both the "preferred name" and the "full name" to my legal name. He notes that on his end everything is correct and he sent me a screenshot with the correct name.
However, after updating my LDS tools, the "preferred name" is updated but my "full name" is not. It's been more than a week since he made the 'change', and I still see an incorrect last name.

I study with BYU Pathway Worldwide, and my name is incorrect there too because everything is linked to the church records.
It is frustrating that the church can change my name without even consulting me first, and now there is difficulty change it back.

What can I do? Is there anyone that I can contact?
davesudweeks

Re: Name change

Post by davesudweeks »

Your clerk will have to change your legal name in the correct place - there are (I think) 3 places to check. It has been a few years since I was a clerk so I don't know the current process. If he doesn't know how, he should ask the stake clerk who is responsible for training him in his calling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think "Full Name" should do it. But Preferred name should be updated as well, of course.

But there's also the "Household" name which is name where the family group shows in Ward Directory or Member Tools. However, once drill down to viewing the individual, it should show either Full or Preferred.

However, it might take a day or two for everything to sync up. After that, if everything is fine in Ward Directory, you'd probably need to nudge the program (Pathways) to get the update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:46 pm Your clerk will have to change your legal name in the correct place - there are (I think) 3 places to check.
For sisters there are four places. Full Name. Preferred Name. Maiden Name. Household Name.

If your clerk gets to all four of them, everything should appear as you desire.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

FlorenciaRR wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:54 pmIt is frustrating that the church can change my name without even consulting me first, and now there is difficulty change it back.
I understand your frustration. But I imagine it was a well-meaning member (membership clerk perhaps), who intended to be proactive in fulfilling his calling, and overlooked this important step of contacting you first. After years of experience, managing membership records is one area where there's lots of room for improvement. The "Church" has no desire for this to occur as it did, and it's always helpful when members provide this feedback to their leaders, so they can learn by experience as well as from what's written in the General Handbook.

Return to “Church Account”