Sacrament disposal

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
andrureid

Re: Sacrament disposal

Post by andrureid »

I have actually gone through the bishop to the stake president to the area 70 to the first presidency on this subject.
The handbook says you may use the unused portion of the bread as food. The big question is what does the church considered unused? I personally believe once it is been broken it is considered used. The leftover bread in the bag is unused and could be eaten as a common snack but not the bread that has been blessed.
The information I have gotten back from all these other resources is it is left up to the bishop's discretion but everybody feels strongly that once the bread is broken it has been used and should be disposed of properly ie garbage can.
andrureid

Post by andrureid »

I have gone through the bishop. I have gone to the State high council. I have gone to the area 70 and have gotten a very clear position on this subject. The sacrament It should be cleared from the table as soon as possible. That's one of the reasons they have the 10-minute gap between the end of sacrament and your first class is so that the boys can get that cleaned off from there. Plus teachers can gather extra stuff for their classes. Start. Number two the handbook says that the bread should be disposed of properly unused bread. That does not mean that the blessed sacrament is unused. At this point it is used. It has been made for a purpose and should not be used as a common snack. It should be disposed of properly. Leftover bread that has not been broken or blessed can be used in any way, shape or form for food. The blessed bread cannot be used for food.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

andrureid wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:22 am I have gone through the bishop. I have gone to the State high council. I have gone to the area 70 and have gotten a very clear position on this subject. The sacrament It should be cleared from the table as soon as possible. That's one of the reasons they have the 10-minute gap between the end of sacrament and your first class is so that the boys can get that cleaned off from there. Plus teachers can gather extra stuff for their classes. Start. Number two the handbook says that the bread should be disposed of properly unused bread. That does not mean that the blessed sacrament is unused. At this point it is used. It has been made for a purpose and should not be used as a common snack. It should be disposed of properly. Leftover bread that has not been broken or blessed can be used in any way, shape or form for food. The blessed bread cannot be used for food.
I'm a little uncertain about your recent post, and I'm not sure how it relates to your February post. The Handbook language about the sacrament remains unchanged from the earlier discussion, and only states that after the meeting "... remove any unused bread". Any additional information (or interpretation) you may have received, should not be considered authoritative for general membership, if it cannot be referenced by general members or leaders. It definitely may be considered authoritative for your local leadership if that's what they decide, of course.

Return to “General Discussions”