Enduring slow internet on Sundays

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
Mattbaun

Enduring slow internet on Sundays

Post by Mattbaun »

For the past 6 to 8 months, we have struggled mightily with accessing LCR finance page. We got a new 'think center' computer. We are running both ethernet and wifi. Nothing helps. What should i be asking for. We as a Bishopric are not very computer literate but it seems like it could be A server that is maxed out. Can anyone help me articulate what to even ask for.
mdigi

Re: Enduring slow internet on Sundays

Post by mdigi »

Hi, I suspect you're encountering the same availability issues others have been reporting. A solution [allowing for reliable use of LCR during high demand/peak-times] is going to require backend engineering changes from the Church; the problem is most likely NOT with your computer or internet connection.

Based on what I've read in other posts on this site: the Church is aware of this issue; Stake Presidents have the ability to raise up issues with their councils for priority consideration. Given how widely used LCR is, I would think this is already a top priority.

One minor thing you might try: Since your computer has both an ethernet connection and a wifi connection, you can disable the wifi connection in the operating system. In some instances (not specific to Church), I've seen seen network performance severely degrade as the system continually chooses between ethernet and wifi network interfaces. Since you already have an ethernet link, you might as well use that an avoid the wifi congestion/slow-downs. [This is just a general suggestion/likely won't resolve your LCR issue.]

Good luck!

[Note: I don't work for the Church or have any special insights into their technology plans.]
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

mdigi wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:49 pm Based on what I've read in other posts on this site: the Church is aware of this issue; Stake Presidents have the ability to raise up issues with their councils for priority consideration. Given how widely used LCR is, I would think this is already a top priority.
I've never known that a Stake President is taking these to Coordinating Council. This is a tactic to ensure that these issues actually don't get pushed from the members. It takes 1, A group of Bishops being fed up with the system (the Bishop's actually don't do this work much, if ever) 2, That group of Bishops to Ensure that the topic goes to the Stake President and 3, a group of Stake Presidents insists that this be fixed, and 4, that the church It really and actually takes these concerns seriously, because their work is directed by CHURCH ORGANIZATIONS and not Units out in the world.

The budget has already been decided on for the entirety of the year 2024, if anything happens it will be budgeted for 2025 sometime at the earliest. We're all going to have to get used to coming in on Tuesday/Wednesday night to do the batch, and having a Bishop be responsible for hanging on to donations in their homes.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

johnshaw wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pmWe're all going to have to get used to coming in on Tuesday/Wednesday night to do the batch, and having a Bishop be responsible for hanging on to donations in their homes.
Just for anyone else who hasn't seen this post, there's a helpful thread titled What to do when LCR is unavailable. It points to a Help Center doc that describes what to do, and how the donations can be manually processed and deposited that same day, avoiding Bishops having to hold onto funds. Also, this process makes it easier for those who live in areas where the Bishopric and clerks live long distances from the Church building, and coming in mid-week isn't always feasible. In the past, we've done the manual process, and then waited until the next Sunday to try again to enter them into the system. Once we even had to wait two additional weeks to enter anything into LCRF (when the system was having major issues a couple of years ago), but the donations were always deposited every Sunday.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

johnshaw wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pm I've never known that a Stake President is taking these to Coordinating Council. This is a tactic to ensure that these issues actually don't get pushed from the members. It takes 1, A group of Bishops being fed up with the system (the Bishop's actually don't do this work much, if ever) 2, That group of Bishops to Ensure that the topic goes to the Stake President and 3, a group of Stake Presidents insists that this be fixed, and 4, that the church It really and actually takes these concerns seriously, because their work is directed by CHURCH ORGANIZATIONS and not Units out in the world.
That definitely may be true. But a good outcome of these conversations, would be an increased awareness of the Stake President of the challenges the Bishop is facing on an ongoing basis. Bishops should feel free to discuss matters big and small with their Stake Presidents, and the Stake President may have good counsel that the Bishop can consider. I've often found that conversations with my Priesthood leader have not resulted in "fixing" anything, but have provided additional insight or ideas that at least help lessen the burden.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”