Correcting names and addresses for members at the request of their minister

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
CPack7

Correcting names and addresses for members at the request of their minister

Post by CPack7 »

A sister has been visiting her ministering assignments, some of which are less active. She's come to me (new clerk) with information to correct some names and addresses for them. What I want to know is it ok for me to fix them even though they didn't directly ask me to? It seems harmless to me and I can tell the sister is trying to help, but I don't know for sure what the policy is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Correcting names and addresses for members at the request of their minister

Post by russellhltn »

Looking at the Handbook, I don't see any policy regarding updating contact information. It does stress the importance of accurate records as far as ordnance and official actions, but seems to be quiet about contact information.

As far as names, Section 33.6.2 "A person’s full legal name, as defined by local law or custom, should be used in membership records and on ordinance certificates." However, the "preferred name" is more flexible.

If you have questions I'd ask the bishop if he approves the changes as he has responsibility over the records of his ward, and the gift of discernment. He may be aware of some situations you're not.

This would also be a good question to talk to the stake clerk about as he is responsible for your training.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”