How do I turn off “ text to speech” on an iPhone 15

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
flcoles1

How do I turn off “ text to speech” on an iPhone 15

Post by flcoles1 »

I was listening to the Featured message from the Liahona and so it went to text to speech. But then when I try to listen to a conference talk it won’t revert to the regular audio with out downloading the video. How do I get the text to speech off the conference talks?? I have tried all sorts of things and even contacted apple support. But it seems to be in the library app.
bjbganggang

Re: How do I turn off “ text to speech” on an iPhone 15

Post by bjbganggang »

I also have a similar issue. I'm trying to listen to General Conference talks, but the app refuses to do anything but text to speech. I recently updated my ios to 17.5.1, which seems to have precipitated this issue. I made sure all the settings on the iPhone are correct, but the issue persists. I shut down and restarted my device, force stopped the app, and anything else I could see or think of, but nothing helps. No other apps are doing this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bjbganggang wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:34 am the app refuses to do anything but text to speech
I believe the app will do that if there's no internet connection. Depending on settings, it may do that if there's no WiFi connection (to avoid running up charges on your data plan).

But it may also do that if the church service it depends on is down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library will default to text-to-speech audio if recorded audio isn't available. In this case, there was a bug in a content release on Friday that caused general conference audio to go missing from Gospel Library. It was fixed on Saturday afternoon. You may need to go to Home and pull to refresh, to force the app to check for a content update.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
flcoles1

Post by flcoles1 »

Yay! Thank you so much! It’s fixed! :D
bjbganggang

Post by bjbganggang »

I have checked through the app store for update. It's telling me there aren't any. I have gone to home and pulled down to prompt a sync. This did not change anything. I then restarted my phone, which also did not change anything. I turned airplane mode on and back off. Wifi is not the issue, as the phone has full access. It will not even allow me to close out the little audio window. I have this app set to be able to use cellular data, so that is also not the problem.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bjbganggang wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:26 am I have checked through the app store for update. It's telling me there aren't any. I have gone to home and pulled down to prompt a sync. This did not change anything. I then restarted my phone, which also did not change anything. I turned airplane mode on and back off. Wifi is not the issue, as the phone has full access. It will not even allow me to close out the little audio window. I have this app set to be able to use cellular data, so that is also not the problem.
Do you have Text to Speech set as your Preferred Audio Type under Gospel Library Settings > Audio Settings?
Are you seeing the same problem in other content (general conference from last year, Book of Mormon, Come, Follow Me manual, etc.)?
bjbganggang

Post by bjbganggang »

My preferred audio type is default for both spoken word and music. Text to speech is set to Karen, but I don’t seem to have the option of turning it off. This does seem to happen with October conference. Only April conference. Very strange. Thank you for sticking with me.
bjbganggang

Post by bjbganggang »

Sorry, that should say does not happen with October conference. I can listen to regular audio for that conference. But April conference will only play text to speech.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bjbganggang wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:07 am Sorry, that should say does not happen with October conference. I can listen to regular audio for that conference. But April conference will only play text to speech.
What content version does it show that you have installed, under Settings > App Details > English > Main? Mine shows 27862, and that content version seems to have audio recordings for April 2024 general conference.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”