Returned missionary balances

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rareay

Returned missionary balances

Post by rareay »

We have a missionary who paid for their entire mission upfront. Then they came home early and have been released. Can we refund the balance? If not, what can we do with the balance?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Returned missionary balances

Post by russellhltn »

General Handbook 24.3.4.1 discourages paying in advance and indicates that it can't be refunded.

The funds are in the Ward Missionary Fund and can be used to support another missionary, or surrendered to the stake to assist at the stake level as detailed in 34.3.3. They cannot be used for any missionary activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

A missionary who unexpectedly returns home early, is always a tender situation for the missionary and family. And then adding financial concerns on top of this because of prepayment, can be an extra stress on an already challenging situation (one of the reasons the Church discourages prepayment). I'd make sure that as the Bishop counsels with the returned missionary and parents, that he reviews the principles of free-will donations, and the Church's full discretion for how donated funds are used. Often families in these situations are desirous to have input over how (or to whom) these "excess" donated funds are used, and disappointed to learn they are not involved anymore in that determination. The family in question may already understand this, but it's always good to make sure.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

We had something similar, not a large amount >$600, because of a senior couple that has paid ahead and then didn't have the expenses they thought. We were able to have the Stake transfer the funds to another Stake and placed in the account of a grandchild that was serving. Global Services said it just needed to be used for missionary purposes and could be moved to the Ward or Stake Mission Funds or to a specific person's. It took a few steps but worked.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

That is very interesting and helpful information. I had not been aware of this ever being a possibility, perhaps it's always been possible, or perhaps it's a more recent change.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:02 pm That is very interesting and helpful information. I had not been aware of this ever being a possibility, perhaps it's always been possible, or perhaps it's a more recent change.
Stakes have had the ability to transfer missionary funds to units outside the stake since LCR started supporting transfers so it's been several years now. But that ability isn't readily visible at the ward level where these issues come up so unless the ward asks a stake clerk about it they likely wouldn't think of it.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

eblood66 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:59 pm
BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:02 pm That is very interesting and helpful information. I had not been aware of this ever being a possibility, perhaps it's always been possible, or perhaps it's a more recent change.
Stakes have had the ability to transfer missionary funds to units outside the stake since LCR started supporting transfers so it's been several years now. But that ability isn't readily visible at the ward level where these issues come up so unless the ward asks a stake clerk about it they likely wouldn't think of it.
Additionally, when I wanted to do it, my Stake Clerk kept telling that I as a Ward Clerk could do it and I couldn’t see how so a call with Global Services assured me it could be done but that the Stake Clerk had to do it. He had to call and find out how but it entails getting the unit ID’s and such…but it can be done..

Return to “Local Unit Finance”