Permission to go to other ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jharris412

Permission to go to other ward

Post by jharris412 »

If permission is granted to go to another ward other than where a member lives, are there any limitations to that members callings or ability to get a temple recommend?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Permission to go to other ward

Post by russellhltn »

As long as the ward has the member's membership record, I don't think there's any limitation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mycousinbob

Post by mycousinbob »

I was told by SL when doing a stake boundary change that First Presidency approval is required for a member to go to another ward outside their ward boundary. The ecclesiastical authority lies in the ward boundary. Their records should not be moved to another ward without that approval. They should also not be given a calling or a temple recommend by the bishop out side their ward boundary. I cannot locate any documentation on this other than what I was told by SL boundary team. I was told this has always been the case and the approval is only given under special circumstances like a restraining order etc. The church is a house of order and this can cause lots of problems in a stake. Just because you don't like the bishop or your new ward is not a reason. I would love to hear input on this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From the General Handbook:

Membership records should be kept in the ward where the member lives. Exceptions, which should be rare, require the consent of the bishops and stake presidents involved. To request an exception, the stake president uses LCR to submit the request to the Office of the First Presidency.

Before a calling is extended, the bishop carefully reviews the person’s membership record to verify that it does not include an annotation or formal membership restrictions.

Before issuing a recommend in the situations listed above, the bishop reviews the member’s record

Obviously, the bishop can't review the member's record unless the record is in the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mycousinbob

Post by mycousinbob »

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Return to “Membership Help”