LUWS switching to LDS Account

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AileneRHerrick wrote:I still have some outdated email addresses that keep bouncing on me!!!
I don't expect that to change. My LDS Account is linked to a different email than my LUWS account. But nothing in LUWS is changed.

I think my biggest concern is for those who have a LDS Account and don't know it. They just know it's the login they use somewhere else. I recently ran into that very issue with a member that the bishop made admin of LUWS. Since they already had an account, I made it an admin. But they member didn't know they have an account already. Apparently it was created for something else.

The other issue is for members to find the information all over again. I had to do a hand-holding session to get one member of the stake singles on-line. It's looking like I have to do the same for the other.

It will be interesting to watch LUWS participation and see if this changeover is having a negative effect.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:It will be interesting to watch LUWS participation and see if this changeover is having a negative effect.

In my opinion, participation will tumble. Then we will build it up again. It will not be as bad as Noah and the Ark, though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One issue I've noticed is that under "registered users" I'm still shown under my LUWS login, not my LDS Access login. So an Admin would not be able to help me if I forgot my login ID. Hopefully this will change once LDS Access becomes mandatory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:One issue I've noticed is that under "registered users" I'm still shown under my LUWS login, not my LDS Access login. So an Admin would not be able to help me if I forgot my login ID. Hopefully this will change once LDS Access becomes mandatory.

I have been slightly challenged with this transition. I had the same user name and password for LUWS as I did for LDS Access. So, as they say in the business, this change has been "transparent" for me.

And because of that, I have probably missed a lot of the nuances and will not as likely be able to help others with problems. It is good to have this list and watch the experiences of others.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

lajackson wrote:I have been slightly challenged with this transition. I had the same user name and password for LUWS as I did for LDS Access. So, as they say in the business, this change has been "transparent" for me.

And because of that, I have probably missed a lot of the nuances and will not as likely be able to help others with problems. It is good to have this list and watch the experiences of others.
On another thread I mentioned helping a ward member sign up for the LDS Account, today. When he reached the step where the confirmation e-mail was sent, he became very confused. He wasn't sure what he was expected to do. I had to explain more than once that he needed to access his e-mail and click the verification link. Evidently the e-mail was quite lengthy (I was on the phone and did not see the e-mail that he received). He kept reading "Thank you" several times. He finally found the verification link to click at the bottom of the e-mail. After that, he was still confused about what to do next. This gentleman is very intelligent (before retirement he was the manager of a nuclear power plant--I believe his University degree was in Chemical Engineering), but some of the computer "steps" were not obvious to him.

I would suggest that making the verification e-mail step as simple and short as possible would help some.

Thanks,
Dennis
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmaynes wrote:On another thread I mentioned helping a ward member sign up for the LDS Account, today. When he reached the step where the confirmation e-mail was sent, he became very confused. He wasn't sure what he was expected to do. I had to explain more than once that he needed to access his e-mail and click the verification link. Evidently the e-mail was quite lengthy (I was on the phone and did not see the e-mail that he received). He kept reading "Thank you" several times. He finally found the verification link to click at the bottom of the e-mail. After that, he was still confused about what to do next. This gentleman is very intelligent (before retirement he was the manager of a nuclear power plant--I believe his University degree was in Chemical Engineering), but some of the computer "steps" were not obvious to him.

I would suggest that making the verification e-mail step as simple and short as possible would help some.

I'm not sure what is so complicated about it, unless the message has changed in the last week (since my wife signed up for LDS Account). The entire message sent to her was:
Thank you for signing up for an LDS Account

To complete your registration you must verify that you own this e-mail address by clicking on the Complete Registration link below. Your account will remain disabled until this step is completed.

Complete Registration (<link to complete the registration>)

This is a system-generated e-mail. Please do not reply.

Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me. It doesn't sound at all like the message you describe above.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tried changing my email on LDS Account and got this:
LDS Account Change Notification
To complete the change e-mail process, please verify your ownership of this e-mail address by clicking on the Validate E-mail Ownership link below.

Validate E-mail Ownership (Very long link here .... I mean really long ........ it kept going ......... and going ........ and going ....... and and on ........... and on ........ and on...... ....... ....... all the way to ..... .... .... ..... ..... to here)

This is a system-generated e-mail. Please do not reply.

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Doesn't seem that complex to me.

dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure what is so complicated about it, unless the message has changed in the last week (since my wife signed up for LDS Account). The entire message sent to her was ... Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me. It doesn't sound at all like the message you describe above.
I doubt that the message was changed. But, that does not change the fact that the member of my ward was confused. The confusion was probably increased because I couldn't explain why he couldn't get to the ward's webpage.

Part of the confusion appears to come from not being sure what to do after clicking the verification link. Does the member go back to the registration screen? If so, what is required on that screen? If not, is everything complete? What else is needed? (After clicking the verification link, the member may have three or more screens of text and instructions open.)

The registration process requires filling out the registration forms, but then it requires starting up the e-mail application. The context switch adds complexity to the registration process. The task becomes complex for the person who is following and reading the directions for the very first time. And, if their short term memory is not good it can be challenging.

The next time that you help someone sign up for the LDS Account, do it over the phone where you cannot see their computer screen or why they are struggling. It will leave you with a different perspective than when you help them in person.

By the way, I have a minor security concern about this process. I think it could be used for "phishing". Anytime links are sent out requiring confirmation by clicking, there is a possibility that some evil person could make the link "look" like the LDS Account confirmation link, but by manipulating the URL unobtrusively causing members to end up on bad websites.

Thanks,
Dennis
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

RussellHltn wrote:I tried changing my email on LDS Account and got this ...
Doesn't seem that complex to me.
I didn't try doing this with the member that I was helping. Changing the e-mail address on LDS Account should be inherently simpler than the registration process.

Thanks,
Dennis
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

dmaynes wrote:By the way, I have a minor security concern about this process. I think it could be used for "phishing". Anytime links are sent out requiring confirmation by clicking, there is a possibility that some evil person could make the link "look" like the LDS Account confirmation link, but by manipulating the URL unobtrusively causing members to end up on bad websites.

Thanks,
Dennis

If this is a problem, then I'd suggest doing a brief education on your members. You don't necessarily want to create any upstir, but just have them be awares... I know you're very good about keeping in touch with your ward... maybe include snippets in weekly emails, such as hovering the mouse over the link and looking in the status bar to see where the link REALLY goes... reasons you might get emails from LDS Account (i.e. you want to change your email address and need to click on a link)... and when it doubt, if it's about your LDS Account, and it's not an email confirmation, sign directly into ldsaccount.lds.org.

Ailene

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”