Phone numbers and LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

Phone numbers and LUWS

Post by zaneclark »

I checked all the posts I could find on multiple phone numbers but all of them seemed to apply only to the MLS. I have a concern with the membership directory on the LUWS and phone numbers. The member directory only shows the primary phone number, unlike the the MLS which has room for a secondary number. Using an idea from the previous posts, I have started adding the cell number to the preferred name field, one of the few items we can edit on the membership list. I know that one of the objections to doing this in the MLS was that this would show up in various organization lists and other places. This shouldn't be a problem on the web. As I said, I have just started this so I will see how it works and keep the forum informed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Are you saying that you add a cell number in the preferred name text box instead of a name? Or are you adding the cell number after the preferred name?

Here are some issues to consider.
  1. The preferred name text box is limited to a 30 character string. A cell number could take 12 of those characters plus one more for a space after the actual preferred name. This leaves 17 characters for the actual preferred name. To differentiate the number as a cell numer an identifier (such as the word cell) may have to precede the number. That would take another 5 characters (4 plus 1 for a space). You may find that members may not be able to have their name dispayed as they prefer and also have an alternate number displayed.
  2. The preferred name can be edited by both the user and a web administrator. Users could inadvertently sabotage efforts of the web administrator when they make changes.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

jdlessley wrote:Are you saying that you add a cell number in the preferred name text box instead of a name? Or are you adding the cell number after the preferred name?

Here are some issues to consider.
  1. The preferred name text box is limited to a 30 character string. A cell number could take 12 of those characters plus one more for a space after the actual preferred name. This leaves 17 characters for the actual preferred name. To differentiate the number as a cell numer an identifier (such as the word cell) may have to precede the number. That would take another 5 characters (4 plus 1 for a space). You may find that members may not be able to have their name dispayed as they prefer and also have an alternate number displayed.
  2. The preferred name can be edited by both the user and a web administrator. Users could inadvertently sabotage efforts of the web administrator when they make changes.
As I said, this is in it's "beta" stage and may change. I haven't found any problems yet with the number of characters used. I put it in this way: Zane (cell 372-2101) By leaving out the prefix, I don't anticipate too many problems with the number of characters. With most names, the preferred is usually shorter than the official name, as "Bob" for "Robert."
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Two thoughts:

Not everyone has a landline anymore--or at least one that is answered. It is used only because the local ISP requires it.

People tend to keep their cell phone numbers when they move, and some areas require 10 digit dialing due to overlays. It's a good idea to input the area codes so you're ready when a change needs to be made.
pbarrus

Post by pbarrus »

Not all ISPs require a land line. We get DSL from AT&T without having a phone number (i.e. land line.)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Phyl wrote:Not all ISPs require a land line. We get DSL from AT&T without having a phone number (i.e. land line.)
I think the term "land line" that scion is referring to describes the physical presence of a wired telephone system line versus the wireless telephone systems such as cell phones. You are correct that ISPs are offering DSL without the dial-out or dial-in capability. Depending on the provider the terms used for this varies. Some call it dry loop DSL, dry DSL, naked DSL, cheap hooker DSL, and others.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dmaynes

Thinking of doing the same thing

Post by dmaynes »

zaneclark wrote:I checked all the posts I could find on multiple phone numbers but all of them seemed to apply only to the MLS. I have a concern with the membership directory on the LUWS and phone numbers. The member directory only shows the primary phone number, unlike the the MLS which has room for a secondary number. Using an idea from the previous posts, I have started adding the cell number to the preferred name field, one of the few items we can edit on the membership list. I know that one of the objections to doing this in the MLS was that this would show up in various organization lists and other places. This shouldn't be a problem on the web. As I said, I have just started this so I will see how it works and keep the forum informed.
I am having a hard time contacting members of my ward because they don't answer the phone number that is printed in the directory. Dad has a cell phone, Mom has a cell phone and just about everyone else has a cell phone. The notion of only one phone number per household is no longer normal in my ward. As a result, one phone number is selected and used in MLS for the directory (or the landline that no one answers) and the other phone numbers are not tracked.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I don't like the idea, but it seems like the best option. The only other option that seems reasonable is to compile an externally generated and maintained directory and upload it to the website as a PDF.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

dmaynes wrote:I am having a hard time contacting members of my ward because they don't answer the phone number that is printed in the directory. Dad has a cell phone, Mom has a cell phone and just about everyone else has a cell phone. The notion of only one phone number per household is no longer normal in my ward. As a result, one phone number is selected and used in MLS for the directory (or the landline that no one answers) and the other phone numbers are not tracked.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I don't like the idea, but it seems like the best option. The only other option that seems reasonable is to compile an externally generated and maintained directory and upload it to the website as a PDF.
It works pretty good with a small problem.... It uses the cell number as a middle name in lists and in the "to" and "from" fields. For example my name appears as Zane(cell 555-5555)Clark. So far I have added about 25 cell numbers and no one has objected to this. I spoke to one leader and he said it was no big deal, he was just happy to have his cell listed.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”