Voided Check shows up as outstanding

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Voided Check shows up as outstanding

Post by wrigjef »

I went through the proceedure to eliminate an outstanding check (vioded and reissued). The check still shows up as outstanding on my unit financial statement. I even went back to the reconcilliation and looked to make sure the old voided check was marked as cleared. What am I missing?
fergie34-p40

Post by fergie34-p40 »

I have found that it can take 4 or more months for the check to be voided by Salt Lake. When Church HQ voids the check it ill show up on the unit statement. Until it is voided I have a temp item for the check so the statements will reconcile.
Robert Ferguson
South Shore Ward, Plainview New York Stake
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I do not have an issue with the reconciliation the adjustment was made and balances just fine. Only issue is that the check still shows up on the CUFS as outstanding.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:I do not have an issue with the reconciliation the adjustment was made and balances just fine. Only issue is that the check still shows up on the CUFS as outstanding.
If the check is written from Budget or Fast Offering, the check will probably not affect the reconciliation, with or without a temporary item.

However, if it is still showing up on the CUFS as outstanding, but you have properly voided it in MLS and a couple of months have passed, I think your only course of action is to contact Clerk Support.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

wrigjef wrote:I went through the proceedure to eliminate an outstanding check (vioded and reissued). The check still shows up as outstanding on my unit financial statement. I even went back to the reconcilliation and looked to make sure the old voided check was marked as cleared. What am I missing?
Basically restating what Alan said, check your sent messages. You are looking for one that states the check was voided. It seems like MLS used to do this automatically, but not so much anymore. If there isn't one, create one and send it to financial giving them the details:
What check was voided
Why?
Was it replaced?

In previous conversations with Clerk Support, if you do not have the check in your possession, you need to call them first to 1) make sure it hasn't cleared since the last statement and 2) have them issue a stop payment on the previous check.

I've also found that I have less issues if, as part of the purpose of a reissued check, I mention it is replacing check #### which was voided.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”