Adobe Reader will not allow license agreement offline

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:Ironically the Adobe license agreement for the Adobe Reader is only available on-line. If you have the Reader installed and try to access it from the program it is not available. Instead you can only view the patent, legal notices, and credits.
I remember version 8 popping up a License Agreement when you first opened Adobe after installation. You would hit the checkbox to agree and then be on your way. However, I never tried it without an internet connection, so I can't verify the dependency. I have not seen version 9 show any license agreement during its install.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

For all the installs I did, not once did I see or have to acknowledge agreeing to a license agreement.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:For all the installs I did, not once did I see or have to acknowledge agreeing to a license agreement.
It won't come up during the install. It's the first person to use it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

After each install I also opened the program, closed it, then opened a PDF document. No requirement to agree to anything in either situation. Of course having the Reader installed before may leave a registry setting that is not removed when the program is uninstalled that is related to accepting the license agreement. I guess the only way to find out if there is a requirement to accept a licensing agreement is to find a system that has never had the Reader installed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:After each install I also opened the program, closed it, then opened a PDF document. No requirement to agree to anything in either situation. Of course having the Reader installed before may leave a registry setting that is not removed when the program is uninstalled that is related to accepting the license agreement. I guess the only way to find out if there is a requirement to accept a licensing agreement is to find a system that has never had the Reader installed.
Could be.

Over the last year or two, I have reinstalled Windows or installed Windows for the first time on fresh hardware for myself and a few family members quite a few times (maybe 5 or 6 times). Each time I would download Adobe Reader (it was version 8 for a while), after install I would get a license agreement upon first use. I always downloaded it from Adobe's site, so I've always had internet connection when given the license agreement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Of course having the Reader installed before may leave a registry setting that is not removed when the program is uninstalled that is related to accepting the license agreement.
That's probably true. I know my check list for re-building MLS machines included agreeing to the Adobe so the users wouldn't be bothered by it.

I think you can also trigger it by stepping up a major version, such as going from V8 to V9 and I got one just tonight.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”