Best Fundraising Ideas

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
steph.younger

Post by steph.younger »

Here in the Pacific Northwest, many units organize fundraisers around Christmas Tree sales and/or disposal which always seems to be well received by the community, but requires some planning and follow-through by the unit. I know of a few units (including my own) which have an annual auction and dinner. This has been very successful while not placing any undue pressue on particular ward members to pay for activities that otherwise couldn't be afforded.

- Stephen

Please keep in mind that there is a BSA procedure for fundraising, including filing a "Unit Money-Eaning Application" with the council (attached) prior to holding any fundraiser to pay for Scouting activities. Page two of the form outlines the general BSA standards that every fundraising activity should follow and make for a pretty good set of guidelines. Our council here has been pretty strict about the form ever since an annual FOS contributor withheld their contribution to the council after making some smaller donations to individual units.
Attachments
34427.pdf
(65.14 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

I served 5 years as a bishop, and currently serve as a ward finance clerk (a different ward and different stake). I was the agent bishop for 4 years, and had a close relationship with the stake president and I was aware of what all the other wards in the stake were doing. I am not generalizing or speculating. Here are my observations:

1. I am unaware of any wards that require the youth to "individually" earn their own money when budget allowance funds are insufficient--everybody skips immediately to the third option, the fundraiser.

2. While serving as bishop, our ward had an annual fundraiser that raised $2000. In 2004, the "New Budget Allowance" came out and we received $3100 from this source. All the wards in our stake had similar ratios, they made more from the New Budget Allowance than they did from the fundraiser. One would expect, that with that additional money, these wards would no longer engage in the fundraiser. That was not the case, the fundraisers continued. I was the only bishop that discontinued the fundraiser.

3. Clearly, the spirit, if not the letter, of the New Budget Allowance, was to eliminate the need for fundraisers, and if wards received more money from the New Budget Allowance, than from their fundraiser, why would they continue the fundraiser?

4. The popular "flag fundraiser" picked up by many wards, continues year after year, whether or not there is a "specific" need, it goes into the "Other" account, presumably to be used for the annual summer camp. In my experience, no budget allowance funds are used for these summer camps, they are funded entirely from the fundraisers.

5. Because some wards are so successful at their fundarisers (yes, many wards have multiple fundraisers), the "Other" account tends to grow and grow, and is rolled over, year after year--a clear violation of church policy. Surplus funds in the "Other" account are to be sent back to The Church at the end of the year.

6. There are wards in our stake that have $10,000, $15,000, $20,000, and $23,000 in their "Other" account. And these funds were in the account on January 1st, meaning thay were rolled over from the previous year--and they hadn't even had this year's fundraiser yet.

Likewise, I was aware of numerous letters from the brethren pleading with bishops to "take control of their sacrament meetings," that they are not to be turned over to anyone else (missionary moms, etc), that the bishopric is to plan the sacrament meeting and no one else, etc. This counsel was essentially ignored until President Hinckley eliminated the "sacred" missionary farewell. I truly believe the same thing will happen with fundraisers. Church counsel is being so widely ignored that the church will forbid them altogether (yes, my speculation).

I believe the brethren, and the handbook, when it says "all ward activities are to be funded from the budget allowance." Why would that statement appear repeatedly in the handbook, if it is not possible? I know full well the cost of scout camps. Our stake held its own scout camp on alternating years, then wards went on their own in the other years. The stake camp was inexpensive, so we planned for the additional cost of Camp Maple Dell, for example, the next year. It can be done, but only if we follow the counsel of "activities should have little or no expense."
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

While serving as bishop, every January we had a "Camps Fireside." All the youth going to any church sponsored camp, and their parents were invited. In this fireside, we gave details of each camp (YW, Scout, Venture, Cubs), the date, the location, the cost. We would then explain that each youth (not cubs) needs to earn $15 for the camp.

We had found that kids who contributed some of their own money were far more committed to the camp, than those who didn't. We emphasized to the parents that the youth were to earn this money, they were not to get it from Mom and Dad.

This was very successful, everyone knew what "the deal" was, what was expected, the camp, the cost, the details.

This fulfilled the second option after the "budget allowance," made the youth work for some of that money, relieved Mom and Dad from having to come up with the money, and everyone knew at the beginning of the year, what was expected.

After 2004, when the "New Budget Allowance" came out, we no longer had a group fundraiser.

Also, we sometimes had one or two (at the most) non-members participate in our camps. We treated them just like members, they earned the $15, and the ward paid the rest of it. Even non-members are not to pay for church camps out of their own pocket.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

pwilson wrote:I thought it would be interesting to hear about what other wards have done for successful fundraising when it is needed. One thing we have done previously have been a "YW Garage Sale" where members save up items they would have given to goodwill and instead donate them to the YW to hold a 2-day garage sale to raise funds.

Any other great ideas for generating good fundraising dollar's for camp needs?
I have not seen a post on this topic that quotes from any handbook regarding auctions. Perhaps someone can make an authoritative comment on this.

However, years ago our ward had a big auction every year (this preceded the budget allowance) that brought in thousands of dollars and funded a lot of ward activities, including girls camp, scout camp, and other things. My dad was in the bishopric when the church notified the bishopric that auctions were not allowed in the church, and the ward discontinued the auction.

This was part of the church move to clarify the church's mission, how it does things, what it doesn't do, etc. Raffles (we used to have these all the time too), bingo, and games of chance were also banned. At this time The Church also directed the church away from "money making," profiteering, door to door soliciting, and competing with established businesses in the area (car washes, selling pies, bread, quilts, etc).

So I am confident auctions are not allowed, but I don't have access to a CHI right now, maybe someone does and can look up the wording.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rexgj wrote:1. I am unaware of any wards that require the youth to "individually" earn their own money when budget allowance funds are insufficient--everybody skips immediately to the third option, the fundraiser.
Fortunately, the generalization that "everybody skips immediately to the third option" is not true. Although I'll agree that many wards don't follow the policy of having youth earn the funds, there are plenty of wards that do.

In fact, a subsequent post proved that there is at least one ward in the Church (among many) that follows policy. I wonder who posted this ;):
rexgj wrote:While serving as bishop, every January we had a "Camps Fireside." All the youth going to any church sponsored camp, and their parents were invited. In this fireside, we gave details of each camp (YW, Scout, Venture, Cubs), the date, the location, the cost. We would then explain that each youth (not cubs) needs to earn $15 for the camp.
This fulfilled the second option after the "budget allowance," made the youth work for some of that money, relieved Mom and Dad from having to come up with the money, and everyone knew at the beginning of the year, what was expected.
The Camps Fireside, or some other similar clear communication well in advance of the camps, is an excellent idea to let the youth and parents know exactly how much money the youth need to earn for the camp, if the ward needs to use that second option.

That would also be a good time to explain the plan for any approved fund-raising activities, if that third option is needed in a particular ward's situation.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

scjayounger wrote:Here in the Pacific Northwest, many units organize fundraisers around Christmas Tree sales and/or disposal which always seems to be well received by the community, but requires some planning and follow-through by the unit. I know of a few units (including my own) which have an annual auction and dinner. This has been very successful while not placing any undue pressue on particular ward members to pay for activities that otherwise couldn't be afforded.

- Stephen

Please keep in mind that there is a BSA procedure for fundraising, including filing a "Unit Money-Eaning Application" with the council (attached) prior to holding any fundraiser to pay for Scouting activities. Page two of the form outlines the general BSA standards that every fundraising activity should follow and make for a pretty good set of guidelines. Our council here has been pretty strict about the form ever since an annual FOS contributor withheld their contribution to the council after making some smaller donations to individual units.
The problem with things like Christmas tree sales, is you're competing with other businesses, and we are not to be doing that. If the counsel regarding fundraisers is followed strictly, there are not many things that comply with all the counsel--I think The Church meant it to be that way.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

I'm pleased that some wards do require the youth to earn some of their camps money, rather than skipping this option and going directly to the fundraiser. My statement is true however, that other than my own ward while serving as bishop, I am unaware of any ward that does.

I think there is an important principle here (in this second option). We are teaching our youth that life, and the church, is not just one big free ride, that they need to work and earn, at least some of the money for camp.

This counsel is consistent with Church counsel to young men preparing for missions, that they should earn "part or all" of the money necessary for their mission. This too, is ignored by many.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rexgj wrote:So I am confident auctions are not allowed, but I don't have access to a CHI right now, maybe someone does and can look up the wording.
Actually, there is no prohibition on auctions in the 2006 CHI (p. 161 covers fund-rasing activities). The current handbook supersedes any former statements, including what may have been said to a particular stake years ago. Some of the other things you listed are prohibited, while others are not mentioned.

In any case, we should all be careful about applying specific Church policy outside our realm of responsibility. In a particular ward, the bishop has access to the Handbook and has the authority and responsibility to seek the Lord's inspiration for how to meet the needs of his ward following his sincere understanding of the Handbook. Where he has questions, he can consult his stake president, who has similar authority and responsibility and inspiration for his stake. Where he has questions, he can consult with Area leaders.

On this forum, we can share our experiences, and point people to resources, but ultimately each individual should look to his or her local priesthood leadership to resolve such issues.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

rexgj wrote:5. Because some wards are so successful at their fundarisers (yes, many wards have multiple fundraisers), the "Other" account tends to grow and grow, and is rolled over, year after year--a clear violation of church policy. Surplus funds in the "Other" account are to be sent back to The Church at the end of the year.
Although Zeroing the Other account at the end of each calendar year is good practice, if funds were gathered in the bottom half of the year for some activity or event the following year, these funds are generally allowed to be "rolled over" so they can be used for their intended purpose.
rexgj wrote:6. There are wards in our stake that have $10,000, $15,000, $20,000, and $23,000 in their "Other" account. And these funds were in the account on January 1st, meaning thay were rolled over from the previous year--and they hadn't even had this year's fundraiser yet.
In our stake, this was a problem that fell on the shoulders of the stake auditors. Our auditors now require an accountability for every dollar in the Other account. They also require that funds are to be placed in distinct subcategories, so it's clear what the funds are being held for. If there is not a specific purpose, or an immediate upcoming need for the funds, then yes, they are to be either refunded to the donors (if possible) or passed on to CHQ. Units are NOT allowed to accumulate "slush" funds year after year.

EDIT: Thanks, Alan. I think your post sums it up quite well.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rexgj wrote:I have not seen a post on this topic that quotes from any handbook regarding auctions. Perhaps someone can make an authoritative comment on this. . . .

So I am confident auctions are not allowed, but I don't have access to a CHI right now, maybe someone does and can look up the wording.
The Code of Conduct does not allow for direct quotes from the Church Handbook of Instructions, although we may provide references to chapters or page numbers. Hopefully, this is why you have not seen a post that quotes from the Handbook regarding auctions.

The other reason there has not been such a post is because, as far as I am aware, the word auction is not in the Church Handbook of Instructions. [grin]

That said, to the matter at hand. As others have mentioned, a quick reading of the Fund-Raising section (CHI, Book 1, p. 161), really does answer every question a unit would need to know if they decided it was necessary to exercise the third option to help pay for annual camps.

I am firmly in the camp (pun intended) that a unit should fund everything from the budget allowance. When I was in a position to make those decisions, that was almost always the decision.

I am also well aware that, for quite a number of units, that decision is not possible. This is the reason there is an exception in the Handbook. Bishops, with their stake presidents, apply the principles of the Handbook under the inspiration and keys they hold.

About auctions.

The fund-raising guidelines do not allow the sale of commercial goods or services, including food storage items. It would seem to me, therefore, that an auction of such items would not be in harmony with that guideline.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the best fund-raising projects I have seen involve service of some type, along with able members who are willing to respond to the sometimes unusual requests of the bishop.

I will now share another successful fund-raiser. It was (cover your ears now) an auction. However, it was a very well-planned auction.

At one ward social, early in the year, the Young Men were assigned to serve the meal. At the conclusion of dinner, they were all lined up at the front of the room. Our host announced that each of these Young Men (Scouts) were planning to attend summer camp. They were now being made available to the members to provide needed services.

A brother raised his hand and said he needed help planting a garden. He announced the amount per hour he was willing to pay and the number of hours he thought it would take. Those quick at math were able to multiply the two numbers and see that the result was equal the cost of Scout camp.

A sister raised her hand and said she needed help with some projects around the home because her husband was deployed with the military. She offered a lower amount per hour. The math came out to half the cost of camp. A brother raised his hand and said he was her home teacher. He would double the amount because he would rather the Scout do the work to pay for camp than he, as the home teacher, do the work for nothing. There were laughs, cheers and applause.

It went on and on for the next little while. Some outbid others for services. It was all fun and entertaining, and when it was done, every Scout had a means to pay for camp.

Remember what I said. The best fund-raising projects I have seen involve service of some type, along with able members who are willing to respond to the sometimes unusual requests of the bishop. That was the key to the successful auction. It was nearly all planned out in advance.

I add an appendix here. This fund-raiser, and the one I mentioned earlier about the fence, were conducted before the latest increase in budget allowance for youth activities. Today, where I now live, I would be firmly back in the camp that fund-raisers are not needed.

I would also be quick to point out that the situation is not the same everywhere. I am aware of places where fund-raisers are still needed and, following Church guidelines, conducted. I am aware of places where the entire funding structure of some activities is totally different from the way we are used to doing things in most places in the United States.

For this reason, the Handbook sometimes allows exemptions. It is all in the book. Insightful reading, as they say. [grin]

Return to “General Discussions”