Software Study Journal

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Dallas-p40

Post by Dallas-p40 »

rmrichesjr wrote:It seems to me that having the data local on your own machines should solve the security issue (if you manage your machines properly). Why then would you want it hosted on somebody else's machines?

It doesn't really matter who hosts the app. I'm just suggesting that the user data reside in a database in the hosting facility and not in some sort of cookie or temp file on the user's local machine.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

rmrichesjr wrote:It seems to me that having the data local on your own machines should solve the security issue (if you manage your machines properly). Why then would you want it hosted on somebody else's machines?
It wouldn't make any sense to me to build this as a web app AND host the data locally. The point of a web a is so that I can access my information from any internet connected computer anytime I want. If the data is stored locally I can only access my data from my computer. Hosting the data locally would be used if the app is a desktop app.

I concur, build it as a web app and store the data in mySQL. This gives the greatest flexibility as far as when and where I can use this application to study the scriptures. Heck, then we could setup a wifi from the FHC in the building and use our laptops for scripture study during Sunday School!

Tom, what's the church's policy on wifi's in the building? I'm only half serious. The tech half says yes the other half just furrows its brow. ;)

mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I agree with nimebe. The advantage of the web app (and consequently, remote storage of user data) is that it can be accessed from any computer anywhere. We could have a desktop client that syncs with the online databases, but many would probably just use the web app to save from downloading yet another program. I think the desktop client should be a second phase of the project maybe.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

If building it as a web app what language would we use? I only advocate PHP, mySQL, because it's what I'm used to. PHP lends itself nicely to integrate Java Script, XML, AJAX an other technologies of which I am not so familiar. I'm open to learning new technologies so I'm wondering what everyone is thinking of as far as the technologies most appropriate to accomplish the objectives for this project?

bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

nimebe wrote:If building it as a web app what language would we use? I only advocate PHP, mySQL, because it's what I'm used to. PHP lends itself nicely to integrate Java Script, XML, AJAX an other technologies of which I am not so familiar. I'm open to learning new technologies so I'm wondering what everyone is thinking of as far as the technologies most appropriate to accomplish the objectives for this project?
Unfortunately, I think most people would advocate what they are most familiar with. I think you should stay with a solid, portable, industry tested technology like PHP or Java.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

nimebe wrote:Tom, what's the church's policy on wifi's in the building? I'm only half serious. The tech half says yes the other half just furrows its brow. ;)
I don't know if there is an official policy but based upon this question and answer on the Web site, I would not hold my breath. ;)

Tom
garylm-p40

Post by garylm-p40 »

rmrichesjr wrote:If the Church's CD-ROM-based product would work...
The scriptural text and footnotes are there, just need to figure out the file format and come up with a more powerful viewer.

I would prefer to have my notes on my local machine, where I can easily make multiple backups. I like to read the scriptures in the woods and on planes, where an Internet connection isn't always possible.
thegordo

SourceForge Project Approved

Post by thegordo »

For those interested in helping to develop this project, I have started a source forge project called Scripture Study Plus. It took almost a full week to get approved. When the Copyright and permissions office is open, I seem to forget to call about the concerns i have with potential copyright issues. I will post here the results of that call once I make it and get an answer as to what exactly we can do.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

thegordo wrote:For those interested in helping to develop this project, I have started a source forge project called Scripture Study Plus. It took almost a full week to get approved. When the Copyright and permissions office is open, I seem to forget to call about the concerns i have with potential copyright issues. I will post here the results of that call once I make it and get an answer as to what exactly we can do.
Great, I'll go to source forge and try to get added to the project. Thanks!
garylm-p40

Post by garylm-p40 »

thegordo wrote:In order to use it offline I would have to get the Churches permission to store the HTML stripped files locally since the material is copyrighted. I'm not sure if that would happen. If they didn't allow it, the project might as well be an online only thing - if we can take the files and store them locally, we could make both offline and online, at least after an initial setup of getting all of the scripture text from the website online.
And from the SourceForge project site:
This Software helps study the Scriptures and other online materials that are found available through http://www.lds.org
It looks like you are leaning toward the online only thing. However, with a little processing of the text on the front end, the same viewer could be used for both the lds.org version and the CD version.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”