Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

jdlessley wrote:Even a user selectable sort order could be made available. This way the events could be sorted according to the needs of the user. For example the events could have the following options for sorting - start time, end time, or event title.

That's a good idea.
GrasseDD

More than 12 high councilors

Post by GrasseDD »

Don't know if this is a glitch or a policy, but the stake websites will only display 12 high councilors. Since we currently have 13, I'd like to see that limitation removed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

duanegrasse wrote:Don't know if this is a glitch or a policy, but the stake websites will only display 12 high councilors. Since we currently have 13, I'd like to see that limitation removed.
As pointed out in the other thread, there's a question of if that's allowed by policy. If it's not kosher, it's not going to happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

macsense wrote:The ward admin can turn on the RS section in LUWS 2.0 and then turn on different aspects of the RS section as requested such as RS leadership, RS calendar, RS news & downloads, RS email lists, etc.
I would like each section for the auxiliaries to include a "Resources" page or area. These are links that the admin for the section can add. For example, the RS section could have links to "Serving in the Church" for the RS page. It could have a link to the "Stake RS Section." There are probably other links that they would want.
dmaynes

Add an UPDATES page to the website

Post by dmaynes »

I didn't see this in the http://https//tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/LUWS:_Feedback_and_SuggestionsWiki. So, I added it there. Following instructions, I thought maybe one or two of you might want to comment.
Create an "UPDATES" page that lists by date, in descending order, all the changes made to the website. The page should be automatically maintained as edits are made and as submissions are approved. This allows frequent visitors to see at a glance what has changed. Each update entry should link to the item that was changed on the website.
I have been using this idea on our local ward website and it's pretty effective. I added the links as described in the TIPS thread. http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=204
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

preston.baxter wrote:Perhaps just a step in the direction of this idea would be a "FILES" area with access restrictions.

As the Exec Secretary I maintain a spreadsheet of those who have spoken in Sacrament Meeting, another file with bulletins, etc. If I had a folder on the LUWS to which I could restrict access to the bishopric, I would definitely store the files there. Even though I email out these lists about once a month, invariably I get at least one request from a bishopric member about who has spoken recently ...
AileneRHerrick wrote:I can see how this would be useful, and I can also see how it could be misused. A member of the Bishopric would probably have to approve all uploads to a restricted area. I would normally say that the web administrator could do this... but I don't think it would be appropriate for a web administrator to approve uploads for the Bishopric.

But I agree, it would be a great thing to have a place where confidential information is only shared and accessed by certain people (such as certain leadership positions). Careful planning would have to ensure that security would not be compromised.
How is who spoke in Sacrament meeting private? Or ward bulletin details private? Why couldn't the ward bulletins be placed on the ward website, anyhow? That would be particularly helpful to people who are unable to attend church each week. Perhaps other data the Exec Sec wishes to share with the bishopric is sensitive, but not these items. Who refuses to speak or is too long-winded, now that's another question. :p
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

dmaynes wrote:I have come to believe it is more important that members receive information from the website than they interact with the website. Therefore, I send out a weekly e-mail blast with a summary of what's coming up (e.g., events for the week), announcements, birthdays, achievements, etc. This has been very well received and, as a result, members of the ward are talking amongst themselves about receiving the e-mails. In the past three months we have had a 33% increase in registrations from 62 to 83. . . .
Thanks,
Dennis
I don't care to receive email about ward stuff in general. I would rather specify just what I'm interested in. There is plenty happening in my home without extraneous calendar details. I know others to whom added unrequested reminders would be a burden on top of existing sorrows. Be sensitive to people's circumstances.

This is why I like Google calendar's ability to handpick which groups (more detailed than the church site YW v Beehives, MiaMaids, and/or Laurels).
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

scion wrote:How is who spoke in Sacrament meeting private?
It's not. But it is also a potential source of contention. Imagine the following:

"They've asked sister Doe to speak every 3 months. Why so often? Are they grooming her for RS pres?"

"Brother Smith has been asked to pray in sacrament meeting every single month except for the last 3. Why did it stop? Did he get disfellowshipped or something?"

Making that information less readily accessible could reduce the potential for unproductive speculation.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

scion wrote:I don't care to receive email about ward stuff in general. I would rather specify just what I'm interested in. There is plenty happening in my home without extraneous calendar details. I know others to whom added unrequested reminders would be a burden on top of existing sorrows. Be sensitive to people's circumstances.

This is why I like Google calendar's ability to handpick which groups (more detailed than the church site YW v Beehives, MiaMaids, and/or Laurels).
Well, as long as we are "wishing," I would like to receive either an RSS feed or a system generated e-mail, according to the schedule I select and according to the content that I would like to see. If the website and calendars were modularized by carefully selected groups this should be doable.

I could still see a need for e-mail broadcasts that were created by hand, or that needed "high priority" delivery.

It also needs to be really simple. A gee-whiz calendaring function that appeals to 1% of the ward membership is probably not desirable.

The website should allow for multiple administrators that can manage specific areas. This would give the organizations a lot more ownership and control. The website admin should be reviewing all the stuff and if training is needed, then that's ok.
edwardlalone

Post by edwardlalone »

My number one request is to be able to change the groups on the Leadership directory and to add our own custom callings and groups and remove those we don't use in the ward. As a Student Singles ward we have no need for the Young Men, Young Women or Primary groups but we do have a lot of Ward Committees and it would be nice to be able to add a custom group, add ward members to it and then be able to email that group. :)

There are two ways that this can be approached. Directly from MLS when we integrate MLS into the Church websites or as a feature on the Ward websites or as I suggest both since not all ward website administrators will have access to MLS.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”