New Mormon Channel iPhone/iPod App Available

Any discussions around the Mormon Radio Channel App on various mobile and electronic devices
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

TechnoBabel wrote:That's nice and everything, but I wish the app worked on MY phone.
I've been talking with Tom Welch about getting the same app started for Windows Mobile. Soon I think, very soon.

As for BlackBerry and Android, someone will just have to talk with Tom about getting those projects started.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

kyleh wrote:Congratulations in the iPhone app. According to the wiki it streams using MSS.

Are these streams using RTSP via MSS? If not, any chance you can publish the raw stream?

A raw MP3 stream would be even better. :)
The stream is an MMS stream. We would have liked to use raw MP3 but there were technical limitations with the content delivery service we are using.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

jbh001 wrote: 1. The LDS Radio app shuts down when the iPhone goes to sleep either manually or automatically (via Auto-Lock) .
This bug has been fixed. The next version will play while it is asleep.
2. The LDS Radio app appears to have difficultly connecting to the stream via the cellular network, and frequently crashes upon start up.
We think this bug is fixed. If you would like to help test, contact me and I'll add you to a test list.
3. While the app will play through the headphone jack when the iPhone Ring/Silent switch is set to Silent, it will not play through speakers connected via the Dock Connector unless the Ring/Silent switch is set to Ring.
Not fixed yet and we are looking into it.

Thanks!
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Tom, nice work. Keeping fingers crossed for a blackberry app someday.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

A couple of comments related to earlier messages.

1. For BYU Radio and some of the other LDS themed webcasters and iPhones, you might want to check out FStream and CastCatcher at the Apple app store. One is free, the other is two dollars. They allow you to input the stream URL and bitrate and you are set.

2. I found that the stream is .wma, that came from viewing the page at radiotime.com for Mormon Channel. Clicking the listen now link there brings up another window which shows the flash player. However, watch what it does immediately when the box opens on your browser as that is how I discovered this.

Turns out 64kbps WMA is as good as 128kbps mp3 files are for audio quality. I've also heard that 64kbps for anything is the optimal streaming rate for mobile phones anyway given current speed rates on most 3G networks. Once everyone goes to 4G, then higher rates will be more possible and prevalent but it may be a while before 4G (Wimax, etc.) catches on and is fully deployed.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

mkmurray wrote:I've been talking with Tom Welch about getting the same app started for Windows Mobile. Soon I think, very soon.
Good, good :-)
butlerrl

Post by butlerrl »

JamesAnderson wrote:A couple of comments related to earlier messages.

1. For BYU Radio and some of the other LDS themed webcasters and iPhones, you might want to check out FStream and CastCatcher at the Apple app store. One is free, the other is two dollars. They allow you to input the stream URL and bitrate and you are set.

2. I found that the stream is .wma, that came from viewing the page at radiotime.com for Mormon Channel. Clicking the listen now link there brings up another window which shows the flash player. However, watch what it does immediately when the box opens on your browser as that is how I discovered this.

Turns out 64kbps WMA is as good as 128kbps mp3 files are for audio quality. I've also heard that 64kbps for anything is the optimal streaming rate for mobile phones anyway given current speed rates on most 3G networks. Once everyone goes to 4G, then higher rates will be more possible and prevalent but it may be a while before 4G (Wimax, etc.) catches on and is fully deployed.
So is there an mms link that would allow me to listen to the Mormon Channel through windows media player? Thanks.
tomj
Community Moderators

iphone App/Mormon Channel

Post by tomj »

nielsondc wrote:I am pleased to report that the free Mormon Channel iPhone application is now available. This application allows iPhone users to tune into content being broadcast on the Mormon Channel, as well as listen to audio recordings of General Conference addresses, magazine articles, and the Church’s standard works. This application also works on the iPod Touch.

Get it here.
Well Done! I'm really enjoying the App! I can't wait for the Pandora style thumbs up/thumbs down rating system! Just kidding. :D Really though, it seems to be working really well now (after the update), and I've been enjoying it. Thanks for putting it on the iPhone.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

primetime34 wrote:So is there an mms link that would allow me to listen to the Mormon Channel through windows media player? Thanks.
There is not a published mms link at this time. I think that there are some server resizing issues that need to happen before the group responsible for the Mormon Channel feeds make the URL's public.

Tom
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Thanks Tom, and you are right also.

Also, give these sites to the team that handles the feed URLs, as these are sites that aggregate stream URLs for various wifi radio devices.

http://www.radioroku.com/
http://www.miroamer.com/
http://www.reciva.com/

There are other sites that also aggregate listings of streams for wifi players, but those are the top 3 that I know of. Some of the others are simply listings of either purely Internet streams, OTA radio stations that have online feeds, or both.

Return to “Mormon Radio Channel”