Admin Computer Updates via MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mkmurray

Admin Computer Updates via MLS?

Post by mkmurray »

So I just saw something interesting when doing a Send & Receive in MLS tonight:
screenshot.PNG
screenshot.PNG (17.37 KiB) Viewed 672 times

I had to be quick on the trigger with the "Print Screen" button. :)

Is this new? Is MLS actively checking and updating XP at the moment, or perhaps just a placeholder for future functionality in the S&R workflow logic?

Is MLS really a viable means for delivering OS updates (as far as permissions and rights, while running withing the MLS or Java process)? It seems like a LANDesk or similar approach that is specialized to this task would be better.

But then again, perhaps MLS is delegating to said dedicated software at that time. But then again as well, maybe nothing is happening at all.

Just curious I guess. :rolleyes:
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you look closely at that message box it appears to say to me it is updating Windows client software and not necessarily Windows itself. This appears to be a generic term for other software running under Windows XP.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I have to agree with JD. If it was REALLY updating the Windows OS, you would have a VERY long time to hit the print screen button, now wouldn't you? :p
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Definitely good thoughts. I'm wondering which software is being updated (or planned as a future feature)?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mkmurray wrote:Is this new? Is MLS actively checking and updating XP at the moment, or perhaps just a placeholder for future functionality in the S&R workflow logic?
No and no. I think I first noticed it last year--I don't remember exactly when--but I have seen it for many months now.

I don't think it is updating WinXP itself. It never takes long enough to do anything like that.

I don't know what "client software" means. I think it might be checking version levels or something else, or possibly updating Afaria or something.

I would I think it could be used in the future. I suspect it is doing little things right now and is a placeholder for something more.

Forward looking statements are my own made-up opinion, of course. They never check with me in advance on these things. [grin]
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

I'm pretty sure it is updating the Windows Afaria client when it says that, but I didn't know there was any Afaria client update going down to the units but I could be wrong.
Jimmer-p40

Post by Jimmer-p40 »

DJC wrote:I'm pretty sure it is updating the Windows Afaria client when it says that, but I didn't know there was any Afaria client update going down to the units but I could be wrong.

DJC is pretty close on this one. This message appears when Afaria is gathering information about the computer so that support can query general information such as what version of XP is on a units computer. ie. Desktop 5.5. etc.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”