Palm Pre....Any software developed for Web OS?

BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Not that this is any endrosement of PDA's but Elder Scott was the first one to show me the scriptures on a PDA during a priesthood leadership meeting back in 1999.

Anyways, I got mobipocket working on the Classic App and was able to bring over all my older scripture files. So far it is a little cramped since I am using the Classic App.

As for Hotsync ID classic app does let you set you Hotsync ID so if you purchased Markmyscriptures then you can still use the registered version.

I did talked to some Iphone developers and they said once the SDK comes out for the Pre Iphone apps should convert over nicely and we will see them quickly.
ryebread-p40

Softcover

Post by ryebread-p40 »

I just downloaded Softcover App for the palm pre. They have tons of free books that you can download and read. Looked for both the Book of Mormon and King James version of the Bible and couldn't find them. Would be nice if we were able to use Softcover some way to distribute LDS literature. You would think that all the traffic directed through their site to get to the Free LDS stuff would generate some sales.
wstillwell-p40

Post by wstillwell-p40 »

ryebread wrote:I just downloaded Softcover App for the palm pre. They have tons of free books that you can download and read. Looked for both the Book of Mormon and King James version of the Bible and couldn't find them. Would be nice if we were able to use Softcover some way to distribute LDS literature. You would think that all the traffic directed through their site to get to the Free LDS stuff would generate some sales.
SoftCover? Where did you find this app? I'd love to get the scriptures on my Pre. So much so, I'm developing my own app for it.

edit... So perhaps you mean shortcovers. Its exaclty what it says, short stories... Not good for anything more than a chapter at a time.
butlerrl

Post by butlerrl »

wstillwell wrote:SoftCover? Where did you find this app? I'd love to get the scriptures on my Pre. So much so, I'm developing my own app for it.

edit... So perhaps you mean shortcovers. Its exaclty what it says, short stories... Not good for anything more than a chapter at a time.
Any luck with this app? I'm looking at getting a Palm Pre but I really want to be able to use scriptures, priesthood manual, the Mormon channel, and Wardtools on it. Do you all know of any apps that might help with these?
grasshoppa-p40

another scriptures program

Post by grasshoppa-p40 »

Here's a guy that's working on a "homebrew" app installed through the side loader. I haven't installed it yet, but my brother has and says it's pretty decent.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps ... scriptures
ahayford-p40

Post by ahayford-p40 »

This looks great
butlerrl

Post by butlerrl »

grasshoppa wrote:Here's a guy that's working on a "homebrew" app installed through the side loader. I haven't installed it yet, but my brother has and says it's pretty decent.

That's great...now someone needs to come up with a way to listen to the Mormon channel on the Pre and I'd be set!! :D
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

Ok installed the new Homebrew App for Daily Scriptures. This was is great! The Hymns lets you push a button and it will stream the hymn to your pre so you can listen to it. Plus it has all the standard works. Great program. Needs some more updates but it is 100 times faster than Mobipocket.

Also if you do have the old Mobipocket files for the Palm it will work on the Kindle, which is nice too.
wonko

Post by wonko »

Simple LDS Scriptures is a program I have been working with a couple of guys that have been writing an Open Source Bible reader, and modifying it to have all the LDS scriptures.

This isn't as refined as Daily Scriptures, but it has the advantage that it is Open Source, where Daily Scriptures is intended to become a paid program.

Any help or advice on it would be appreciated.
jltware

Post by jltware »

treesloth wrote: I'd really like to move to electronic scriptures and study materials. The only possible problems are 1) I really like books... it's just a tactile preference and 2) imagining the folks at church muttering, "well, look at treesloth, texting and surfing the internet during sacrament meeting. Kids, don't talk to him." :p

I understand the comment about sometimes just liking a book. I love having the scriptures and other materials on my belt to read on a train or have handy in any meeting. But if I know I will have to supply a spiritual thought or give a talk, I still bring my real scriptures, as it is easier to find things in a hurry and I haven't found a reader with marking features that I like yet.

Has anyone else noticed the links to several of the readers on the church website are broken. How does one report this? Isilo for both palm and windows mobile and MS reader have broken external links. I recently bought a new phone. I'm a windows mobile HTC person myself, but my wife uses a palm so I have an interest in both systems and would usually update both at the same time. I went online to download the latest versions of the readers to try them out and couldn't. If I didn't have backups of the previous versions I would have been completely stuck on some of those programs, at least for a while. It seems not very useful having the latest materials available for download if the readers to open them are not available. Not really my problem, but I'd like to report it and get it fixed if I can as less tech savvy people might easily give up on installing scriptures on their pda if the program downloads become too difficult to find.

Return to “Mobile Applications”