Adobe Apollo (desktop apps)

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Adobe Apollo (desktop apps)

Post by HaleDN »

Has anyone here looked into the Adobe Apollo platform? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/apollo/ Granted, it is still in Alpha release, but if initial rumblings are any indication regarding its eventual outcome, it will have far-reaching effects in the industry, with much more acceptance than using Java on the desktop. From the Adobe labs site...
Apollo is the code name for a cross-operating system runtime being developed by Adobe that allows developers to leverage their existing web development skills (Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript, Ajax) to build and deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) to the desktop.

Apollo enables developers to create applications that combine the benefits of web applications – network and user connectivity, rich media content, ease of development, and broad reach – with the strengths of desktop applications – application interactions, local resource access, personal settings, powerful functionality, and rich interactive experiences.
They didn't explicitly include Java in the technology list, but if Java was supported, this would certainly aid the cause of Java (which hasn't received widespread acceptance for desktop apps).
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I have not but it is on my list of things to do over the summer. (In between Artifical Intellegence and Machine Learning.)
- David
mkmurray

AI - BZFlag tanks

Post by mkmurray »

thedqs wrote:I have not but it is on my list of things to do over the summer. (In between Artifical Intellegence and Machine Learning.)
The BZFlag tank projects are pretty fun. Our team took 2nd place because of our awesome defensive tanks. But the first place team beat us with their awesome offensive tanks. So there you go, your best defense is a good offense! :D Good luck.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Has anyone also looked at Microsoft's Silverlight -formerly Windows Presentation Foundation / Everywhere? It seems like it is working on the same lines as Adobe Apollo as a technology for rich interactive applications (RIA)?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

kgthunder wrote:Has anyone also looked at Microsoft's Silverlight -formerly Windows Presentation Foundation / Everywhere? It seems like it is working on the same lines as Adobe Apollo as a technology for rich interactive applications (RIA)?
Yes, definitely exciting stuff. It appears that Silverlight (WPF/e) though is more of an equivalent to Flash, and WPF is more like Apollo. Am I right?

I've played around with WPF, making desktop apps with XAML. Pretty fun stuff.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

mkmurray wrote:The BZFlag tank projects are pretty fun. Our team took 2nd place because of our awesome defensive tanks. But the first place team beat us with their awesome offensive tanks. So there you go, your best defense is a good offense! :D Good luck.

I was looking at the project BZFlag and I can't wait to try a few ideas I have on it. :) Now just to get the basic math down. (Well semi-physics)
- David

Return to “Emerging Technologies”