MLS 3.1 and Local Unit Calendar

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
nutterb

MLS 3.1 and Local Unit Calendar

Post by nutterb »

[ EDIT by Alan_Brown: I moved the posts in this thread (which deal with Local Unit Calendar) from the thread Coming Soon to a unit near you: MLS 3.1 Beta. ]

I have nothing to do with these projects and only have the following speculation to offer about whether LUWS will display the individual phone numbers following the release of MLS 3.1

nutterb's speculation
MLS 3.1 is being released soon, as is the new membership directory for LUWS (I'm pretty sure I read that in the TechTalk). However, since MLS is developed by the Church and the new only directory is developed by the Community, I doubt that the two will tie in together when they are released. I think it will be a while before we see LUWS sync up with the new feature in MLS. It shouldn't be hard, but just a delay while someone updates the directory code and gets it approved for release.

Someone who knows more is welcome to challenge my speculation.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

nutterb wrote:I have nothing to do with these projects and only have the following speculation to offer about whether LUWS will display the individual phone numbers following the release of MLS 3.1

nutterb's speculation
MLS 3.1 is being released soon, as is the new membership directory for LUWS (I'm pretty sure I read that in the TechTalk). However, since MLS is developed by the Church and the new only directory is developed by the Community, I doubt that the two will tie in together when they are released. I think it will be a while before we see LUWS sync up with the new feature in MLS. It shouldn't be hard, but just a delay while someone updates the directory code and gets it approved for release.

Someone who knows more is welcome to challenge my speculation.

I think that's about right, except that I would be less optimistic. I doubt that the new Community version of the online directory is very close to being releasable.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

boomerbubba wrote:I think that's about right, except that I would be less optimistic. I doubt that the new Community version of the online directory is very close to being releasable.
Correct, the Community version does not appear to be ready anytime soon, not like MLS 3.1 which is likely to be officially released sometime November (if beta testing goes as planned). The Community version is coming along, but basically one module at a time. It appears the farthest along is the Calendaring (http://tech.lds.org/luc/), while the Membership Directory module appears to be mostly mockup images on the Wiki.

But, I would bet the Community project will have individual phone numbers and email addresses (I found a reference to that effect on its wiki page), likely synced with MLS (not found on the wiki page, but a guess), and I make this guess because of how much longer after MLS 3.1 the Community project will be released.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

The Local Unit Directory project is much more than mockup images. It's a whole web app with a lot of functionality--at least as of a few weeks ago when I synced up and couldn't find anything a volunteer could really do.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I took the time to look it up this time. According to Atticus Ewig's transcription of the 2009 TechTalk, we get this comment from Rich Farr
Like you pointed out, Local Unit Web Sites is an important app, it's one of the most popular features on lds.org, but it's not serving the purpose that it could serve, especially with the reach it could have internationally. We're working on that right now. As it was pointed out in Joel's presentation there are Community members that are helping and contributing to that, and we plan on having the first components of that a Calendar and the Directory available as a public beta late this year in December.
Whether or not things go as planned is another issue.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rmrichesjr wrote:The Local Unit Directory project is much more than mockup images. It's a whole web app with a lot of functionality--at least as of a few weeks ago when I synced up and couldn't find anything a volunteer could really do.
I couldn't find it, I tried looking in labs.lds.org this morning. I realize I could download the source from SVN and run it, but I was looking for a publically hosted sample.
nutterb wrote:I took the time to look it up this time. According to Atticus Ewig's transcription of the 2009 TechTalk, we get this comment from Rich Farr...
Ah, yes, terrific! I had forgotten about that comment. Thanks.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mkmurray wrote:I couldn't find it, I tried looking in labs.lds.org this morning. I realize I could download the source from SVN and run it, but I was looking for a publically hosted sample.

Local Unit Calendar is available as a publicly hosted sample, but Local Unit Directory is not. I hear rumor that they will be on the 'labs' site some time soon.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

That calendar looks great! I can't wait to be able to use it. The ability to edit a single occurrence in a series is priceless!

nutterb

Post by nutterb »

So I just got into the labs and played a bit. Following up on the discussion about the directory, it seems I may be wrong. At the moment, the new directory lists phone numbers for the head of household and the spouse. For all the families in my ward, it is showing the household phone number for both people, but I don't know that it will stay like that for long.

The calendar looks fantastic, and I have yet to come across any difficulties (I've only entered about a month's worth of my ward's actvities). Please oh please let this be released soon!

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”