MLS 3.0 Vista Compatibility

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

psnarula wrote:I'm running the Win7 Beta (x64) on my laptop. I installed MLS and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (I tried SP2 and SP3). I then configured it for the test unit and stake.

MLS will let me login but when I go to logout, it tells me that I have to save finance data and then when I click OK, I immediately see another window that says "an error has occured". I click OK to this window and MLS is back running normal again. I cannot logout. The only way to quit MLS is to force a quit via Task Manager. Any thoughts?
I've never used Win7, but I found that on my Vista machine, I had the exact problems you reported above when I used XP compatibility mode. Although it may seem counter-intuitive, those problems went away when I used Windows 2000 compatibility mode, as I reported in this post.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

psnarula wrote:I'm running the Win7 Beta (x64) on my laptop. I installed MLS and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (I tried SP2 and SP3). I then configured it for the test unit and stake.

MLS will let me login but when I go to logout, it tells me that I have to save finance data and then when I click OK, I immediately see another window that says "an error has occured". I click OK to this window and MLS is back running normal again. I cannot logout. The only way to quit MLS is to force a quit via Task Manager. Any thoughts?
That's the exact same problems I was having on Vista Ultimate (x86) when I drafted this post: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post31126

I still have not resolved the issue. Please let me know if you are able to make it work and how.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just for kicks and grins - what happens if you set save to a different batckup area and then reset the program to a higher security level?

IIRC, by default, MLS wants to save in a C:\mlsbackup. That's far away from where MLS "lives" and I'm wondering if the compatibility mode isn't granting "full access" to the hard drive.

While Win2000 was capable of better security, but default it allowed everyone full access to the hard drive starting a the root. WinXP did not.

My theory is if you either set up MLS with proper security for it's backup area and/or have it default to a more security appropriate area, then it will work OK.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Unfortunately, it's not a simple answer, like assigning R/W privileges to certain directories. I actually had it working under Windows 7 at one point, but I can't remember all the steps I took to get there. (An old age thing. :o) When tried it with a fresh install of Win7, I couldn't get it to work no matter what I did. Obviously I'm missing something. Hopefully I'll have time to study it more and find out exactly where the problem lies and what steps need to be taken to get around it.

For those reading along, this is ONLY to get the test unit(s) running with the associated test data. MLS will NOT work for a "live" unit with Vista or Windows 7 in its current form.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

Alan_Brown wrote:I've never used Win7, but I found that on my Vista machine, I had the exact problems you reported above when I used XP compatibility mode. Although it may seem counter-intuitive, those problems went away when I used Windows 2000 compatibility mode, as I reported in this post.
MLS 3.1.1 on Windows 7 beta (x64) works great in Compatibility Mode for Windows 2000 (and when set to run as administrator).

Just to be clear -- I'm talking about the test unit here. https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/MLS_test_data
karlos0112-p40

MLS 3.1.2 vista compatability

Post by karlos0112-p40 »

i have installed MLS version 3.1.2 set it to run in windows xp service pack 2 compatabilty
it all starts but nothing happens when i click restore from file
any ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

karlos0112 wrote:i have installed MLS version 3.1.2 set it to run in windows xp service pack 2 compatabilty
it all starts but nothing happens when i click restore from file
any ideas?
I've been running MLS with the test data for a long time under Vista using Windows 2000 compatibility mode, as described in this post. I know it seems more logical to use WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, but I have problems with backup in that mode. But in Win2K mode, everything works fine.

By the way, why are you trying to restore a backup on such a machine? Official administrative computers should be running Windows XP, and no real MLS data should ever be restored on any computer other than an official administrative computer.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

Hey, you guys got me all excited that I might be able to run a test version of MLS on my home Vista Ultimate machine. Alas, I've tried setting the compatibility to Win 2000 and Win XP, with and without administrator settings, but all I get is the dreaded "Win XP is required" screen. :(

Has anyone had any success with a clean install of MLS 3.1.2 on a Vista Ultimate machine?

Thanks for your time.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Freedom55 wrote:Has anyone had any success with a clean install of MLS 3.1.2 on a Vista Ultimate machine?
I've only used Vista Home Premium, where Win 2K compatibility mode works fine. But I have no experience with Vista Ultimate.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Freedom55 wrote:Has anyone had any success with a clean install of MLS 3.1.2 on a Vista Ultimate machine?
I have Vista Ultimate and I have tried using MLS on it. I have no problems with "Win XP is required" error message when setting the compatibility and administrator settings. I have other problems that I detailed in another thread. I can't say I've tried with MLS 3.1.2, but I have tried with earlier versions of MLS 3.0. I don't think Vista Ultimate and the compatibility settings is the root of your problem.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”