2010 Lesson Schedules

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
pbarrus

Post by pbarrus »

Yes, Zane, it is the course of study. The new revised edition, not the 1997.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Phyl wrote:. . . the link is to the 1997 version. I need the new updated version....just to make sure that the lessons are the same title, #, if there are new ones, deleted ones, etc.
I have the new book. As others have pointed out, there are 47 lessons to cover over two years, two per month on the 2nd and 3rd Sundays. The guidelines are that "The lessons should be taught in the order presented in the book." As Alan has pointed out, there will not really be 24 Sundays and the stake will need to decide how to deal with that and publish a stake teaching schedule.

Planning for 2010 will be easy. The only change in lesson titles from the old book is that lesson #1 is called Our Heavenly Father. In the old book, it was Our Father in Heaven. Lessons 2 through 40 have identical titles. As far as lesson titles go, that is the only change for 2010.

By the time you need to plan lessons for 2011, you will have the new book.

For the curious, the new lesson 41 is the old lesson 45, the title of lesson 42 is the same in both books, the new lesson 43 is the old lesson 41, the new 44 is the old 43, and the new 45 is the old 44.

Lesson 46 now is called The Final Judgment. In the old book it was The Last Judgment. Lesson 47 has the same title in both books.

The old book has the Articles of Faith at the end, but it appears that the Articles of Faith are not included in the new book. You probably won't get 48 lessons anyway, with stake conferences and other exciting activities during the upcoming two years.

Enjoy.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:Is the Gospel Principles manual going to be the course of study for RS/PH in 2010?
Yes. And 2011.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Phyl wrote:Alan, thank you for responding, but the link is to the 1997 version. I need the new updated version....just to make sure that the lessons are the same title, #, if there are new ones, deleted ones, etc.
The 2009 Gospel Principles Manual has now been posted in the Gospel Library at lds.org.

Now that the source material is online, I hope that the stake websites will soon be able to set up 2010 lesson schedules (but that moment has not yet arrived).
johnshaw

Gospel Teaching

Post by johnshaw »

As a note, Stake Presidents in all stakes do not make this decision, this may be how it is in your stake. I don't think that coordinating at a stake level or any level other than a ward is very important. The principle is that husbands and wives (men and women) have the same lesson on the same day. This is the same principle for Sunday School. The hope is that members take these discussions into the home.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jshawut wrote:As a note, Stake Presidents in all stakes do not make this decision, this may be how it is in your stake. I don't think that coordinating at a stake level or any level other than a ward is very important. The principle is that husbands and wives (men and women) have the same lesson on the same day. This is the same principle for Sunday School. The hope is that members take these discussions into the home.
I understand what you are saying, but the fact is that this thread is about Lesson Schedules on the local unit websites. For LUWS, Priesthood and Relief Society lessons are administered at the stake level -- there is simply no option for administering them at the ward level. So you are required to coordinate at the stake level.

Sunday School lessons, on the other hand, are administered at the ward level.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

jshawut wrote:I don't think that coordinating at a stake level or any level other than a ward is very important. The principle is that husbands and wives (men and women) have the same lesson on the same day.
It's important if one has a stake calling and the other doesn't. Having the same schedule across the stake allows members serving as stake officers to have the same lesson on the same day.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cottrells wrote:It's important if one has a stake calling and the other doesn't. Having the same schedule across the stake allows members serving as stake officers to have the same lesson on the same day.
This is probably one of the reasons the curriculum guidelines say that when one of the 2nd or 3rd Sunday lessons cannot be taught on a scheduled Sunday, stake presidents and bishops decide if it will be taught on another Sunday.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

I am waiting for final lesson approval and will get them posted to the LUWS as soon as I get final approval.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

DJC wrote:I am waiting for final lesson approval and will get them posted to the LUWS as soon as I get final approval.
I don't know why, but I find this kind of funny. We've already received the books, so what needs to be approved? Seems like it's already taken care of!

Seriously though, out of curiousity, when can we start setting the lesson schedules for next year? As soon as you get them posted or do we have to wait until January? Do more rows show up at the bottom of 2009 or will it be a separate tab?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”