Fast Offering Disbursments...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
znauga

Fast offering expenditures

Post by znauga »

In some instances our Bishop has gone to a nearby gas station with the transient to purchase the gas or food requested. I acknowledge that Bishops do not always have the time to be so cautious.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

cdawardclerk wrote:Also, what do I do for transients that we give money to for gas, food, etc.? Many of these people are never seen again.
I have been in several units where the bishop has asked a priesthood holder(s) to follow the person to the gas station, fill their car with gas and pay for it out of pocket, then return to the bishop and present the receipt for reimbursement.

This has also sometimes been done with utility or other payments.

In one ward, the bishop had gift cards/certificates from Sav-A-Lot, which does not sell alcohol or tobacco products, but does sell other basic groceries.

Another bishop I know keeps a stash of gift cards/certificates from McDonald's or other fast food restaurants on hand for just such transient food needs; or again, having a member purchase food for the person and then turn in the receipt for reimbursement. One has to get creative when the nearest bishop's store house is 3 hours away.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

If the payment is to an individual such as a landlord; I include a self addressed(to the bishop) stamped envelope and a reciept along with a request for the payee to sign the reciept and send it back.

The reciepts I use are triple copy; I give one to the fast offering recipient, send one to the payee to sign and return, and I attach one to the expense form (along with some form of invoice/bill). In some cases I end up with three "receipts" for a single payment.

If the payment is to a company we require an invoice/bill notice prior to printing the check.

I have yet to not receive my reciept back! It's a bit more work up front but I don't have to chase ward members for receipts any more!

crichardson-p40

Post by crichardson-p40 »

This sounds like a great idea and I hope to start implementing it soon. Are these receipts Church issue, or do you get them through Corporate Express/Staples? Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crichardson wrote:Are these receipts Church issue, or do you get them through Corporate Express/Staples? Thanks.

The Church does not issue these types of receipts. I suppose Staples (or any other stationery store or business office) would have them.

And many wards and branches just use a simple text form with the information printed on it.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

crichardson wrote:This sounds like a great idea and I hope to start implementing it soon. Are these receipts Church issue, or do you get them through Corporate Express/Staples? Thanks.
The booklet we're using is just a generic receipt booklet you can get at any office supplies store or Wal-Mart. Actually, it was left over from some fund raiser about 10 years ago. I found it one day while printing checks and put it to use.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”