Wireless access setup for chapel

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

berglundbp wrote:... based on my experience of wireless, I wouldn't recomend products for home-use - but that's true - I'm a big fan of Cisco.
I'm a Cisco fan as well, but at least in the one building where I did a Meetinghouse Internet installation, I don't see it as any sort of industrial-strength network. The three wards do MLS transmissions, an occasional update to the local unit website, and a few other odds and ends. My home network for just my family gets easily 10 times the use. So home-oriented products for this kind of low-use network seem just fine to me (and our experience in that building bears this out). They are much less expensive than a full-blown Cisco implementation.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

berglundbp wrote:A little bit of history:

I remember the time when we where installing Cisco Access-points based on the 802.11b standard in the FHCs. A lot of people pushed for the faster 54Mbps pre-standard of 802.11g, as it only required a firmware upgrade. But when the 802.11g standard finally came out, it wasn't just a firmware upgrade - new hardware was needed and all wireless NICs did not support the offical 802.11g standard so they only ran on 11 Mbps.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes it's better to stick with what exists today - it will save both time and money in the future. :D

And based on my experience of wireless, I wouldn't recomend products for home-use - but that's true - I'm a big fan of Cisco. :D

Regards,
Patrik
Yeah Patrik, I certainly remember those days as well. Fortunately, the WiFi Alliance people are trying to avoid that this time around by testing and certifying 802.11n Draft 2.0 (and later) gear to be 100% interoperable with all other vendor's certified equipment. Granted, the final spec may change slightly before next year, but the plan is, if you buy now you wont be stuck with an Edsel when it's all said and done.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eyoungberg-p40

WiFi in our stake

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

cybr wrote:Alright, I think I got what I need now. Thanks.

Hi,

For what it's worth, what we did in our stake is documented here.

Best Regards,

Eric

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”