MLS 3.1.2 Released

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dwterry-p40

MLS 3.1.2 Released

Post by dwterry-p40 »

Yes, it's hot on the heels of 3.1.0 and 3.1.1. But this one is a planned upgrade, not just a quick fix.

First, we apologize, this one is HUGE ... 8M in size. Lots of PDFs in lots of languages resulted in a much larger than usual update. For those of you on broadband, the 8M file will be a minor bump. For the rest of you, it'll be a long download ... probably 40 minutes for the very fastest dialup systems and much longer for everyone else. Because it's tithing settlement time, chances are you will be in the office for an extended length of time anyway.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS is that we purposely waited for the vast majority of units to upgrade to MLS 3.1 to take advantage of its new communication system before releasing this one.

So if the download is taking a long time, REMEMBER:

1) With MLS 3.1 you can just let the file transfer run in the background while you get your work done, editing membership, entering finance information, etc.

2) If you finish some finance or membership changes that you want to send up while the download is still happening ... that's okay, there's no need to wait! You don't even need to disconnect. Just click Send/Receive again. MLS will prioritize your changes and send them up ahead of the continued download.

3) And if you really need to leave. That's okay too! Just click Disconnect and log off. The next time you do a Send/Receive, MLS will prioritize any of your changes and do them first, and then resume the download right where it left off. No harm done.

Enjoy the new communications system. And enjoy the new features and functionality in MLS 3.1.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays from the MLS crew. :)
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dwterry wrote:Yes, it's hot on the heels of 3.1.0 and 3.1.1. But this one is a planned upgrade, not just a quick fix.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays from the MLS crew. :)
Thanks to the MLS team for their continued hard work and Happy Holidays to each one.

Question: Our stake is currently experiencing a problem with duplicate leadership entries in MLS 3.1.1 - it has duplicated positions in the stake presidency as well as the high council. I notified the MLS support desk the other day and was told that they were working on a solution. Can you add anything to this issue? How long it might take for a fix?

Our stake just went through a series of ward boundary changes and as a result we have LOTS of changes not only in wards, but the stake as well.

Happy Holidays!
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

Techgy wrote:Question: Our stake is currently experiencing a problem with duplicate leadership entries in MLS 3.1.1 - it has duplicated positions in the stake presidency as well as the high council. I notified the MLS support desk the other day and was told that they were working on a solution. Can you add anything to this issue? How long it might take for a fix?
We each have unique tasks and duties and the new system for handling callings is handled by an employee who is out today. So I don't know the answer and can't ask at the moment.

I would suggest continued efforts through the support desk. If it's a programming issue, it will get back to us. If it's not, they'll be in the best position to direct the issue to the proper people for resolution.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dwterry wrote:We each have unique tasks and duties and the new system for handling callings is handled by an employee who is out today. So I don't know the answer and can't ask at the moment.

I would suggest continued efforts through the support desk. If it's a programming issue, it will get back to us. If it's not, they'll be in the best position to direct the issue to the proper people for resolution.
I was told when I called that it would take some time and that it was a programming problem. He reported that the programmers had thought it was fixed, but following my report - it obviously wasn't so it's back to the drawing board.

I'm sure it would be helpful to all if the forum were kept up to date on the progress of this issue.

Happy Holidays and thanks again for your response.
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

Techgy wrote:but following my report - it obviously wasn't so it's back to the drawing board.
Does support know this? The way things are structured here, it is best tracked through them. That's what will drive the fix (if one is still needed). Some issues are MLS, some issues are based on systems on the back end, and some issues are within your local unit data. Support are the ones that coordinate everything.
Techgy wrote: I'm sure it would be helpful to all if the forum were kept up to date on the progress of this issue.
I'm sure. I apologize, but I will need to bow out as I have my own tasks to accomplish.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dwterry wrote:Yes, it's hot on the heels of 3.1.0 and 3.1.1. But [3.1.2] is a planned upgrade, not just a quick fix.

Would it be possible to get a reading on how big of a jump we can make in versions. Through all of the recent changes, we still have a few units on version 3.0.3 that have not upgraded. In each case, I have successfully installed 3.1.1 over the top and everything seems fine.

Will I be able to do that with 3.1.2 as well?

I sense that a some point we are going to have to do a double step upgrade. I just hope I can get the travel time in fast enough to avoid that.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lajackson wrote:Would it be possible to get a reading on how big of a jump we can make in versions. Through all of the recent changes, we still have a few units on version 3.0.3 that have not upgraded. In each case, I have successfully installed 3.1.1 over the top and everything seems fine.

I sense that a some point we are going to have to do a double step upgrade. I just hope I can get the travel time in fast enough to avoid that.
I'm obviously not a Church developer, but the impression I get is that the updating process (with it's individual modules and individual version numbers) is fairly flexible, and so a jump in upgrades may not be a problem.
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

lajackson wrote:Would it be possible to get a reading on how big of a jump we can make in versions. Through all of the recent changes, we still have a few units on version 3.0.3 that have not upgraded. In each case, I have successfully installed 3.1.1 over the top and everything seems fine.

Upgrading from 3.0.3 to 3.1.2 will be direct as far as the main MLS code is concerned. The big 8M file I referred to up above will be downloaded AFTER you have upgraded to 3.1.2 (or really any version of 3.1.x).
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dwterry wrote:Does support know this? The way things are structured here, it is best tracked through them. That's what will drive the fix (if one is still needed). Some issues are MLS, some issues are based on systems on the back end, and some issues are within your local unit data. Support are the ones that coordinate everything..
Yes, it was reported to support this week. In fact, they are the ones who told me that it obviously wasn't fixed.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dwterry wrote:Upgrading from 3.0.3 to 3.1.2 will be direct as far as the main MLS code is concerned. The big 8M file I referred to up above will be downloaded AFTER you have upgraded to 3.1.2 (or really any version of 3.1.x).
Thanks. Quite frankly, I appreciate seeing this kind of planning.

I will try and figure out what is happening with my computers. I am frustrated, because the ones that seem not to be upgrading are the ones that have worked so well over all these years, where the clerks have not fiddled with things, have followed the rules and left things alone, transmitted regularly, stayed on the proper desktop login, all that good stuff.

I guess that every once in a while, it just works better to reload the whole shebang. This must be one of those times. I am finding that the longer it has been since I loaded directly from the web site, the more likely it is that the computer never made the jump from 3.0.3.

I have prioritized my efforts in that direction. By those calculations, I have two still to find and fix in our stake. And I think I know which ones.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”