Wireless networking in buildings - is there policy/guidelines?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Also, another installation procedure is to have a router in the clerks office for the computers and that router has a cable that goes to the FHC (FHL) room to connect to the DSL.

Just another implementation that I've seen.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First I've heard of that. I guess it provides some protection against probing from the FHC computers, but otherwise, I don't see the point.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Another is could be in the event of broadband becoming faster and faster the current Wireless (Fastest is 100 Mbits/s while with Cat 5e it is 1 Gbit/s) but again, most broadband connections don't even get close to those speeds. So security was most likely the reason.
- David
thomasjking

Post by thomasjking »

we have in our branch a FHC with wireless system. when it was installed a connect spot was also put by the clerks office. i have asked slc several times about getting the clerks computer online but have been told "someday" but not now. the also said they would send out an offical announcement.
have we missed something from someone?
we are ready and willing to go
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn would know more about this but from what I've gathered you need to get the Desktop 5.5 for your stake and then you can connect the computer up to the internet.
- David
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

You can connect up to the wireless access points in your branch building provided that your FHC is using a Church Headquarters provided firewall (CCN connection), that you have desktop 5.5 installed on your clerk machines, and you pay for any wireless cards for the clerk machines out of the branch or stake budget. There should be more of an official policy statement in the near future.
thomasjking

wireless again

Post by thomasjking »

i just called the globelhelpdesk and they said to email cservices @ldschurch.org for desktop 5.5. so i :) have and will wait and see what happens. we may get into the 21th century yet
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

I'm not sold on connecting the clerk computers to the internet. All it would take is a one-time intruder to the information they hold. Wouldn't THAT make a headlline.

Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but I tend to think of what could happen with a faulty install or that one time it messed up and someone got in.

It's not THAT long of a wait on the dial-up on ours, perhaps 5 minutes or so usually.

Just my 2¢ worth!
Skip
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:I'm not sold on connecting the clerk computers to the internet. All it would take is a one-time intruder to the information they hold. Wouldn't THAT make a headlline.
Just for kicks and grins I checked the law recently passed in my state. Since we don't record SSN, Driver's License number, or any kind of financial account number, password, etc, it fails the definition of "personal information" to require disclosure if there is a security breach. (Your mileage may vary.)

Since the MLS data seems to be encrypted, about the only way anyone is going to get anything is if someone exports the data from MLS.

Also keep in mind that the machine is behind a church supplied firewall.

That's not to say there is NO risk, but apparently the risk is at acceptable levels.

Personally, I'd really like to see the ability to run MLS as a "user". It's really, really hard to infect a system when the user doesn't have administrative privileges to make changes to the OS.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

Also, remember that dial up line, while slow, is still transferring data over the Internet. Having the dial up line does eliminate an "always on" connection to local unit PC's, but if local units are behind a hardware firewall, a software firewall(desktop 5.5) and turn the computers off when not in use, they should be as secure as they are currently. At least that is my opinion.

Return to “General Discussions”