Loss Of User Names

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:I know that he downloaded the most recent version of Java in the process of all of this, but that obviously didn't correct the issue. I tried the steps that jdlessley suggested, but to no avail. Is there something I need to try to do with Java?
While MLS is running, under Task Manager you will see two processes: javaw.exe and MLS.exe. The javaw process will take far more memory than the MLS process.

The version of Java used by MLS is the one that MLS installs, which is in C:\Program Files\jre6. The regular install of Java is normally at C:\Program Files\Java. So unless your bishop did something out of the ordinary, downloading the most recent version of Java probably had no effect on MLS, since he probably didn't update the copy of Java that MLS uses.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Another suggestion that builds on an earlier suggestion someone made:

Do a completely clean install. By this, I mean:
  1. Uninstall MLS.
  2. Move the C:\Program Files\LDS Church folder somewhere else on your hard disk.
  3. Rename the C:\Program Files\jre6 folder to something else.
  4. Install the full installation of MLS.
  5. Start up MLS
  6. Enter the ward/stake unit numbers and names
  7. Set up an administrator (this doesn't matter much, since you'll overwrite this user with the next step, but you have to do it)
  8. Choose Restore from a File
  9. Select your most recent backup (one that was made manually)
Following that process should make sure that no configuration settings from a previous installation are sticking around.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Alan_Brown wrote:While MLS is running, under Task Manager you will see two processes: javaw.exe and MLS.exe. The javaw process will take far more memory than the MLS process.

The version of Java used by MLS is the one that MLS installs, which is in C:\Program Files\jre6. The regular install of Java is normally at C:\Program Files\Java. So unless your bishop did something out of the ordinary, downloading the most recent version of Java probably had no effect on MLS, since he probably didn't update the copy of Java that MLS uses.

Yes, that's correct.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Alan_Brown wrote:Another suggestion that builds on an earlier suggestion someone made:

Do a completely clean install. By this, I mean:
  1. Uninstall MLS.
  2. Move the C:\Program Files\LDS Church folder somewhere else on your hard disk.
  3. Rename the C:\Program Files\jre6 folder to something else.
  4. Install the full installation of MLS.
  5. Start up MLS
  6. Enter the ward/stake unit numbers and names
  7. Set up an administrator (this doesn't matter much, since you'll overwrite this user with the next step, but you have to do it)
  8. Choose Restore from a File
  9. Select your most recent backup (one that was made manually)
Following that process should make sure that no configuration settings from a previous installation are sticking around.

Thanks for the instructions, but it didn't work. I even tried defragging the hard drive after the uninstall and restarting the machine. Now when I start MLS, after entering the unit and admin info, a small, one-inch long segment of the title bar appears. I click on a corner of it and drag it to make it larger, go to File>Restore from a file, and open the backup file I want. It then tells me that it's going to log me off and I have to log back on for the changes to take effect. Then it does nothing, so I have to exit and log on again. When I log on, I'm back to the same old symptom of the program freezing when I click "Log In".

I almost forgot to mention that I ran Chkdsk upon reboot after defragging the hard drive.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

When you do the uninstall of MLS, try uninstalling "Afaria" as well.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This is the procedure that MLS support gave to me for another problem:

Make sure you have a recent backup of your MLS data.
1. Exit MLS
2. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel
3. Double-click on Add or Remove Programs icon
5. Scroll down to MLS (remove all instances of MLS, if there are more than one)
[INDENT]5a. To remove program(s), click once on program name. Click on the Change/Remove button. Follow the online instructions to remove[/INDENT]
6. Remove Afaria Client (follow instructions in step 5.a.)
7. Close Control Panel
8. Complete shut down and then restart the system (go to Start and click on Shut Down)
9. Open My computer (usually on desktop – double-click on icon)
10. Go to C:\ (root directory)
11. Delete AFARIA
[INDENT]11a. Right-click on folder. Left-click on Delete option. Choose “yes” when asked if you are sure you want to remove it[/INDENT]
12. Go to C:\Program Files
13. Delete jre5 and jre6 (follow instructions in step in 11.a.)
14. *Delete AClient (follow instructions in step in 11.a.)
15. Go to C:\Program Files\LDS Church
16. Delete MLS folder (follow instructions in step in 11.a.)
17. Shut down and reboot computer
18. Go to C:\Program Files
19. *Make sure AClient is gone. If not, remove it (follow instructions in step in 11.a.)
20. Reinstall current version of MLS
21. Restore backup
[INDENT]21a. Log in to MLS and click on File > Restore from a File. Locate backup and click OK to restore it. [/INDENT]

A couple of things: This will trigger the security, so you need to call CHQ and have them do a reset. Send/Receive will not work until that's done.

Also, this does not preserve your dialer properties. I'd suggest you grab that file from the MLS directory before you delete it and drop it back in before firing up MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:Now when I start MLS, after entering the unit and admin info, a small, one-inch long segment of the title bar appears. I click on a corner of it and drag it to make it larger, go to File>Restore from a file, and open the backup file I want. It then tells me that it's going to log me off and I have to log back on for the changes to take effect. Then it does nothing,
It sounds as if you have a corrupt version of MLS.

After you get that sorted out, you still will need a known good backup. And at the rate things are happening, you may have to go to CHQ for that, as well.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:When you do the uninstall of MLS, try uninstalling "Afaria" as well.
I don't see how Afaria can be an issue, since there are no transmissions being done, but I guess everything is worth a try.

One other suggestion: After doing a completely clean install as I described above, instead of restoring a backup, simply install the test unit 108 (see instructions at MLS test data). Then see if MLS works with the test database. That should let you isolate whether your database is causing the problem. If MLS works with the test data, but as soon as you restore your database it has problems, then you know it is a problem with the database. In that case, I would send my database backup to Local Unit Support so they can analyze it. You might also try going back to earlier backups to try to isolate when it went bad.

If, on the other hand, MLS doesn't work with the test data after a completely fresh install, then there is something wrong with your system. That will be much harder to track down.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Thanks again, everyone. I couldn't get back to the office tonight due to an injured foot, but my STS was going to go over and check it out. If he wasn't able to get anywhere, I'll try the suggestions below. At one point I did delete the jre5 and jre6 folders after copying them to a flash drive. I also deleted some other folders, but I didn't know if I should mess with AFARIA, so I'll try that tomorrow, if necessary.

I fully appreciate all of the suggestions. I know the problem will be resolved eventually, and I'm sure it will be due to the support I'm getting from all of you.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Case closed! My STS was able to get it working after about two hours of work. I wasn't with him when he did it, but I will find out what happened.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”