Portability of MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
johnshaw

Portability of MLS

Post by johnshaw »

I would like to keep multiple versions of MLS (Stake and Ward [test unit data]) on a single computer. Does anyone know if there is a command line arguments in the MLS installer to target a specific install of MLS?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jshawut wrote:I would like to keep multiple versions of MLS (Stake and Ward [test unit data]) on a single computer. Does anyone know if there is a command line arguments in the MLS installer to target a specific install of MLS?
MLS was designed so that only only one version would be installed on a computer. The installer places every version in the same location. I doubt that it would be easy to get more than one version, even for testing, on the same machine.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jshawut wrote:I would like to keep multiple versions of MLS (Stake and Ward [test unit data]) on a single computer. Does anyone know if there is a command line arguments in the MLS installer to target a specific install of MLS?
When you say "multiple versions of MLS (Stake and Ward)" are you saying you want MLS 3.0.3 and MLS 3.1.4, for example, or are you just saying that you want both the test ward and the test stake?

If the latter, that can be done easily with a single MLS installation. Just add unit 108 to add the test ward, and add unit 2224445 to add the test stake. Then you can pick the unit you want to work on from the drop down on the MLS login screen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Then you can pick the unit you want to work on from the drop down on the MLS login screen.
IIRC, the drop down doesn't appear unless there are multiple units installed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:IIRC, the drop down doesn't appear unless there are multiple units installed.
I think you missed that he had explained that both the test ward, 108, and the test stake, 2224445, could both be installed. Once this was done both would be available from the drop down list of units installed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My point was that if a user had only used MLS with a single unit, they wouldn't see the drop down list - and as a result, they may not know how to use MLS with multiple units. I probably should have explained it better, but it was in case jshawut was wondering "what drop down list?". it will appear when appropriate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Thanks everyone. I was caught up in doing the Install and Selecting either Stake or Ward, that I didn't see the tree through the forest. I added the test stake and that did the trick.

thanks

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”