Quarterly Report with test data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Quarterly Report with test data

Post by aebrown »

I am unable to see the Quarterly Report using MLS 3.1.4 with the test data.
  • If I use a database freshly created in 2010, then when I try to see the quarterly report, I am told that the database was created in this quarter, so there is no data to see. That is the correct behavior.
  • But if I use a database created in 2009 or earlier, then I get in a catch-22. When I try to view the quarterly report, I am told I have to do a Send/Receive before I can view or update the quarterly report. So I say Yes, go ahead and do it now. A simulated S/R occurs. But then when I try to view the quarterly report, I am told I have to do a Send/Receive before .... -- I can never get in.
I would like to see the new quarterly report, but I can't do it. I'm at the stake level, so I can see the reports submitted by our wards, once they start coming in, but that's not the same as seeing what it looks like at the ward level.

Do others using the test data have the same experience, or is there some way to see the quarterly report that I am missing?
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

When the communications system was overhauled for MLS 3.1, we lost a lot of the "simulated communications" that were possible with the old system. The old system was file based and so files could be written to disk and we could pretend to move them. The new system is stream based and so pretending to move the data is a bit trickier and very much incomplete.

I suspect in this case, MLS is expecting to see an update come down from Church Headquarters to signify that it is okay to proceed with the quarterly report. Being stream based, we can't simulate the data. But perhaps we can code around it.

I'll take a look at it. If it's an easy fix, it might make it into 3.1.5, but they are really trying to keep the changes for 3.1.x to the minimum at this point.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dwterry wrote:When the communications system was overhauled for MLS 3.1, we lost a lot of the "simulated communications" that were possible with the old system. The old system was file based and so files could be written to disk and we could pretend to move them. The new system is stream based and so pretending to move the data is a bit trickier and very much incomplete.

I suspect in this case, MLS is expecting to see an update come down from Church Headquarters to signify that it is okay to proceed with the quarterly report. Being stream based, we can't simulate the data. But perhaps we can code around it.

I'll take a look at it. If it's an easy fix, it might make it into 3.1.5, but they are really trying to keep the changes for 3.1.x to the minimum at this point.
I understand. Although I wish the test data worked a bit better in 3.1, the new communication system for MLS 3.1 is so much better that I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the old way, even if it made the test data work completely. I'm sure it will eventually get fixed, so I can be patient.

In any case, thanks for the quick response and helpful explanation.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Fixed in 3.1.5

Post by aebrown »

dwterry wrote:I'll take a look at it. If it's an easy fix, it might make it into 3.1.5, but they are really trying to keep the changes for 3.1.x to the minimum at this point.
I'm happy to report that the problem with MLS test data installations regarding the Quarterly Report has been fixed in MLS 3.1.5.

It was rather frustrating to not be able to see the Quarterly Report to support clerks in my stake (and on this forum), so I'm grateful that it was fixed.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”